Difference between revisions of "Louisiana Superintendent of Education"
m (Text replace - "," retrieved June" to "," accessed June")
|Line 154:||Line 154:|
In 2010, the Louisiana Superintendent of Education was paid an estimated $341,458 according to the [[Council of State Governments]].<ref>[http://knowledgecenter.csg.org/drupal/system/files/Table_4.11.pdf ''The Council of State Governments'',"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11,"
In 2010, the Louisiana Superintendent of Education was paid an estimated $341,458 according to the [[Council of State Governments]].<ref>[http://knowledgecenter.csg.org/drupal/system/files/Table_4.11.pdf ''The Council of State Governments'',"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," June 21, 2011]</ref>
Revision as of 06:26, 17 April 2014
|Louisiana Superintendent of Education|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012-2013 FY Budget:||$5,344,410,172|
|Length of term:||Determined by Louisiana Board of Elementary and Secondary Education|
|Authority:||Louisiana Constitution, Article 8, Section 2|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the Louisiana Board of Elementary and Secondary Education|
|Assumed office:||January 11, 2012|
|Other Louisiana Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
- 1 Current officeholder
- 2 Authority
- 3 Qualifications
- 4 Appointments
- 5 Vacancies
- 6 Duties
- 7 Divisions
- 8 State budget
- 9 Compensation
- 10 Historical officeholders
- 11 Recent news
- 12 Contact information
- 13 See also
- 14 External links
- 15 References
|There shall be a superintendent of education for public elementary and secondary education...|
Qualifications for the superintendent are set by the State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education. They are broken down into three categories - general, experience, and professional skills.
- General qualifications:
- advanced degree in public administration, education, or related area
- background in the formulation and implementation of public policy
- strong academic background
- proven record of success in administration
- demonstrated ability to achieve positive results
- credibility in his/her current profession
- proven record of team building
- Professional skills:
- proven decision-making skills
- proven leadership skills
- ability to work effectively with the legislature and executive branches of the government, education, business, and civic organizations; and
- outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
The state superintendent of education is appointed by a two-thirds vote of the State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education, and confirmed by the Senate.
The superintendent enters into a contract with the board, who determines the length of contract, but it cannot extend past the end of the term of office by the members making the appointment. However, the superintendent may serve until the next board makes an appointment.
If there is a vacancy during the regular term, the deputy superintendent fills the position until the State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education makes an appointment.
|He shall be the administrative head of the Department of Education and shall implement the policies of the State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education and the laws affecting schools under its jurisdiction. The qualifications and other powers, functions, duties, and responsibilities of the superintendent shall be provided by law.|
The mission statement of the office is "to recommend and implement public education policy in accordance with the Louisiana Constitution, legislation, and regulations of the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE)."
The DOE has six main divisions:
Office of Public Affairs
- The Office of Public Affairs handles public information activities and serves as a liaison between the State Superintendent of Education and public audiences, partners, and education stakeholders.
|Contact Office of Public Affairs|
Office of Governmental Affairs
- The Office of Governmental Affairs coordinates legislative issues that impact K-12 education.
|Contact Office of Governmental Affairs|
Office of Policy
- The Office of Policy works within and outside LDOE to create, champion, and implement initiatives that will help Louisiana reach its critical student outcome goals efficiently and effectively.
|Contact Office of Policy|
Superintendent's Delivery Unit
- The Superintendent's Delivery Unit helps LDOE realign and dedicate its resources to most effectively support the needs of local school districts as they strive to improve educational outcomes.
|Contact Superintendent's Delivery Unit|
Bureau of Internal Audit
- The Bureau of Internal Audit serves as an auditor for LDOE activities and has a dual-reporting responsibility to BESE and the Superintendent of Education.
|Contact Bureau of Internal Audit|
Office of General Counsel
- The Office of General Counsel provides legal support and representation to LDOE, as well as guidance for local school districts, parents, and stakeholders.
|Contact Office of General Counsel|
The Department of Educations's budget for fiscal year 2012-2013 was $5,344,410,172.
The annual salary of the superintendent is set by the BESE and subject to approval of the Joint Legislative Committee on the Budget.
In 2013, the Superintendent's salary remained at $275,000.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Louisiana Superintendent of Education has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Louisiana + Superintendent + of + Education
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
State Superintendent of Education
Louisiana Department of Education
1201 North Third Street
Baton Rouge, LA 70802-5243
P.O. Box 94064
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9064
- Superintendent of Schools
- Paul Pastorek
- Louisiana Department of Education
- Louisiana school districts
- Louisiana Department of Education, "STATE EDUCATION BOARD NAMES JOHN WHITE STATE SUPERINTENDENT OF EDUCATION," January 11, 2012
- BESE Code, accessed August 27, 2011
- Louisiana Department of Education, "Mission statement," accessed August 27, 2011
- Louisiana Department of Education, "Offices," accessed August 27, 2011
- State of Louisiana,"State Budget Fiscal Year 2013-2013," 149, accessed June 27, 2013
- Council of State Governments, Table 4.11 Selected State Administrative Officials:Annual Salaries, accessed January 23, 2014
- Times Picayune, "John White's contract as Louisiana superintendent of schools is approved," January 20, 2012
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," accessed June 21, 2011