Louisiana down ballot state executive elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
December 6, 2014
Public Services Commissioner
Louisiana is one of three states to use a blanket primary, or top-two system, which allows all candidates to run and all voters to vote but only moves the top two vote-getters, regardless of party affiliation, to the general election. In Louisiana, the runoff general election on December 6, 2014, is only required if no candidate receives 50 percent or more of the primary vote. If the runoff election is not needed, the race is decided with the one election (acting as both the primary and the general election) on November 4, 2014.
|Office||Incumbent||Assumed Office||Incumbent running?||General Election Candidates||2015 Winner||Partisan Switch?|
|Public Service Commission||Eric Skrmetta
||2009||Yes|| Eric Skrmetta
|Public Service Commission||Foster Campbell
||2003||Yes|| Foster Campbell
Public Service Commission
- Regulate all common carriers and public utilities and have such other regulatory authority as provided by law.
- Adopt and enforce reasonable rules, regulations, and procedures necessary for the discharge of its duties, and shall have other powers and perform other duties as provided by law.
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013, through January 3, 2014, researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- Louisiana Secretary of State, "Candidacy Inquiry, Unofficial," accessed August 21, 2014
State of Louisiana
Baton Rouge (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | State Treasurer | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture and Forestry | Secretary of Natural Resources | Executive Director of the Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Service Commission |