For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Difference between revisions of "Louisiana school districts"
m (Text replace - "Portal:School boards and school board elections" to "Portal:School Boards and School Board Elections")
|Line 75:||Line 75:|
*[[Portal:School and |School board elections portal]]
*[[List of school districts in Louisiana]]
*[[List of school districts in Louisiana]]
Revision as of 16:01, 11 April 2014
|K-12 Education in Louisiana|
|State Superintendent: John White|
|Number of students: 703,390|
|Number of teachers: 48,657|
|Teacher/pupil ratio: 1:14.5|
|Number of school districts: 132|
|Number of schools: 1,437|
|Graduation rate: 72%|
|Per-pupil spending: $10,723|
|Louisiana Department of Education • List of school districts in Louisiana • Louisiana • School boards portal|
|Education policy project|
|Public education in the United States |
Public education in Louisiana
Glossary of education terms
Louisiana is home to 1,437 schools and 703,390 K-12 students.
State school administrators
- State Board of Education
- Chas Roemer, President, 6th District
- James D. Garvey, Jr., Vice President, 1st District
- Holly Boffy, Secretary-Treasurer, 7th District
- Kira Orange Jones, 2nd District
- Dr. Lottie Beebe, 3rd District
- Walter Lee, 4th District
- Jay Guillot, 5th District
- Carolyn Hill, 8th District
- Connie E. Bradford, Member At-Large
- Dr. Judith Miranti, Member At-Large
- Stephen Waguespack, Member At-Large
The following table displays the top ten Louisiana school districts by total student enrollment.
The following table displays the ethnic distribution of students in Louisiana.
|Two or More||1.0%|
School board elections
- See also: Louisiana school board elections, 2014
A total of 21 Louisiana school districts among America's largest school districts by enrollment held elections in 2014 for 224 seats. Each district held elections on November 4, 2014, with runoff elections on December 6, 2014, if no candidate for a particular seat won 50 percent plus one vote.
Here are several quick facts about Louisiana's school board elections in 2014:
- The largest school district by enrollment with an election in 2014 was Jefferson Parish Public Schools with 45,230 K-12 students.
- The smallest school district by enrollment with an election in 2014 was Vermilion Parish Schools with 9,186 K-12 students.
- Four districts were tied for the most seats on the ballot in 2014 with 15 seats up for election in each district.
- Ouachita Parish School System had the fewest seats on the ballot in 2014 with seven seats up for election.
The districts listed below served 467,051 K-12 students during the 2010-2011 school year, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. Click on the district names for more information on the district and its school board elections.
- National Center for Education Statistics, "Table 2. Number of operating public schools and districts, state enrollment, teacher and pupil/teacher ratio by state: School year 2011–12," accessed March 18, 2014
- ED Data Express, "State Tables Report," accessed March 17, 2014 The site includes this disclaimer: "States converted to an adjusted cohort graduation rate [starting in the 2010-2011 school year], which may or may not be the same as the calculation they used in prior years. Due to the potential differences, caution should be used when comparing graduation rates across states."
- United States Census Bureau, "Public Education Finances: 2011," accessed March 18, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "State Education Data Profiles," accessed August 16, 2013
- National Center for Education Statistics, "State Profiles," accessed August 16, 2013
- National Center for Education Statistics, "Elementary/Secondary Information System," accessed March 21, 2014
State of Louisiana
Baton Rouge (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | State Treasurer | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture and Forestry | Secretary of Natural Resources | Executive Director of the Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
Louisiana Department of Education | Louisiana school districts |
Louisiana Supreme Court | Circuit Court of Appeals | District Courts | Family Court | Juvenile Courts | Parish Courts | Justice of the Peace Courts | City Courts | Mayor's Courts | Magistrate Courts | Traffic Courts | Judicial selection in Louisiana |