|U.S. House, Kansas, District 2|
|January 3, 2009-Present|
|January 3, 2013|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 4, 2010|
|Next election||November 6, 2012|
|Kansas State Treasurer|
|Kansas State Senate|
|Kansas State House of Representatives|
|Bachelor's||Weber State University|
|Associate's||Kansas State University|
|Birthday||June 10, 1963|
|Place of birth||Topeka, KS|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Career
- 3 Committee assignments
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Analysis
- 7 Personal
- 8 External links
- 9 References
Jenkins won re-election on November 6, 2012.
Jenkins was born in 1963 in Topeka, Kansas. She earned her Associate's degree from Kansas State University, and her B.S. from Weber State University in Ogden, Utah, in 1985. Prior to her political career, Jenkins worked as an accountant.
Below is an abbreviated outline of Jenkins' political career:
- Kansas State House of Representatives, 1999-2001
- Kansas State Senate, 2001-2003
- Kansas State Treasurer, 2003-2008
- U.S. House of Representatives, 2nd Congressional District of Kansas, 2009-Present
U.S. House of Representatives
Jenkins serves on the following House committees:
- Ways and Means Committee
- Subcommittee on Trade
- Subcommittee on Oversight
Jenkins ranin the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Kansas' Jenkins District. Jenkins won the nomination on the Republican ticket. The signature filing deadline for candidates wishing to run was June 11, 2012. The date was originally set for June 1, but a delay in the redistricting process caused the state to push back the filing deadline.. The primary elections were held on August 7, 2012.
Jenkins ran unopposed in the Republican primary on August 7, 2012.
The policy positions below are outlined on Jenkins' campaign website.
- Fiscal Responsibility
Excerpt: "I ran for Congress because of the reckless fiscal policies coming out of Washington. Kansas common sense tells me you cannot spend more than you take in. My background as a certified public accountant, state legislator, and state treasurer, has given me a unique perspective to take to Washington."
- Limited Government
Excerpt: "I firmly believe that the federal government has a few foundational purposes: protecting us in a dangerous and uncertain world, helping maintain and build our nation’s infrastructure, and allowing for economic and individual freedom. The most effective type of government is the one that is closest to the people it serves."
Excerpt: "Our men and women fighting overseas and those here at home deserve all the respect, honor, and support that we can give them. That is why I have been a constant advocate for getting our troops the tools they need to succeed and complete their mission."
Excerpt: "As a member of the House Ways and Means Committee I am working to repeal Obamacare and create real health care reforms. Our plan includes weeding out waste and fraud, giving tax credits to allow people to buy their own insurance."
- Second Amendment
Excerpt: "Growing up in rural Kansas, I have known from a young age that as Americans, we cherish our right to keep and bear arms. I support the Second Amendment and applaud the Supreme Court's decision that reaffirmed every individual American's right to bear arms."
Candidates for Congress are required to file up to seven main reports with the Federal Election Commission during the 2012 elections season. Below are Lynn Jenkins' reports.
|Lynn Jenkins (2012) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|April Quarterly||April 14, 2012||$977,491.11||$198,439.54||$(78,328.26)||$1,097,602.39|
|July Quarterly||July 15, 2012||$1,097,502.39||$349,985.6||$(54,028.28)||$1,393,459.71|
Huelskamp won re-election to the U.S. House of Representatives in 2010. During that re-election cycle, Jenkins' campaign committee raised a total of $1,471,057 and spent $1,170,133.
|U.S. House of Representatives, Kansas' 2nd Congressional District, 2010 - Lynn Jenkins Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$13,544|
|Total Spent by General Election Opponent||$13,954|
|Top contributors to Lynn Jenkins's campaign committee|
|American Assn of Orthodontists||$10,000|
|American Crystal Sugar||$10,000|
|Credit Union National Assn||$10,000|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
Congressional Staff Salaries
The website Legistorm compiles staff salary information for members of Congress. Jenkins paid her congressional staff a total of $853,867 in 2011. She ranks 86th on the list of the lowest paid Republican Representative Staff Salaries and she ranks 101st overall of the lowest paid Representative Staff Salaries in 2011. Overall, Kansas ranks 45th in average salary for representative staff. The average U.S. House of Representatives congressional staff was paid $954,912.20 in fiscal year 2011.
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Jenkins' net worth as of 2010 was estimated between $195,027 and $825,000. That averages to $510,013.50, which is lower than the average net worth of Republican Representatives in 2010 of $7,561,133.
Percentage voting with party
The website OpenCongress tracks how often members of Congress vote with the majority of the chamber caucus. According to the website, Lynn Jenkins has voted with the Republican Party 94.3% of the time, which ranked 50 among the 242 House Republican members as of November 2011.
Jenkins is divorced and has two children.
- Social media:
- Political profiles:
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Media appearances:
- Media coverage:
- Gov Track "Jenkins" Accessed May 23, 2012
- Politico "2012 Election Map, Kansas"
- Biographical Guide to Members of Congress "Lynn Jenkins" Accessed November 12, 2011
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "House of Representatives Committee Assignments" Accessed November 12, 2011
- Kansas Secretary of State Elections Division "Candidate List" Accessed June 21, 2012
- [http://www.fec.gov/pubrec/fe2012/2012pdates.pdf fec.gov - 2012 Primary Dates and Candidate Filing Deadlines
- Lynn Jenkins "Issues," Account: October 11, 2012
- Lynn Jenkins "Issues," Account: October 11, 2012
- Lynn Jenkins "Limited Government," Account: October 11, 2012
- Lynn Jenkins "Defense," Accessed: October 11, 2012
- Lynn Jenkins "Healthcare," Accessed: October 11, 2012
- Lynn Jenkins "Second Amendment," Accessed: October 11, 2012
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010" Accessed November 12, 2011
- Federal Election Commission "Lynn Jenkins Summary Report," Accessed October 1, 2012
- Federal Election Commission "April Quarterly" Accessed October 1, 2012
- Federal Election Commission "July Quarterly" Accessed October 1, 2012
- Open Secrets "Lynn Jenkins 2010 Re-Election Cycle," Accessed November 12, 2011
- LegiStorm "Lynn Jenkins"
- OpenSecrets.org, "Jenkins, (R-Kansas), 2010"
- OpenCongress "Voting With Party"
- Official House Site "Full Biography," Accessed November 12, 2011
|U.S. House of Representatives - Kansas District 2
| Succeeded by|