Mackinac Center for Public Policy
The Mackinac Center for Public Policy (MCPP) is a 501(c)(3) nonpartisan research and educational institute devoted to improving the quality of life for all Michigan citizens by promoting sound solutions to state and local policy questions. The Mackinac Center assists policy makers, scholars, business people, the media and the public by providing objective analysis of Michigan issues.
MichiganTransparency.org is a project of the Mackinac Center that will reveal Secretary of State and Governor expenditures. The site also features revenue and spending data for Michigan public school districts as reported by the state Department of Education, along with categorical grant data and school checkbook registers. In response to the efforts of MichiganTransparency.org, The Secretary of State has published the expenditures of the department online.
Michigan State Police FOIA
Kathy Hoekstra of the Mackinac Center submitted a request to the Michigan Department of State Police regarding the state's handling of federal homeland security grant money. She was told that it would cost $6,876,303.90, with a downpayment of $3,438,151.95. Hoekstra's interest in the records was galvanized by a report from the Office of the Inspector General which, in the seven Michigan counties that were spot-checked, discovered a variety of problems, such as inadequate record-keeping, difficulty in locating emergency equipment, and a pervasive lack of required accountability systems.
MCPP hosts MichiganVotes.org to provide citizens with "instant access to concise, plain language and objective descriptions of every single bill, amendment, and vote that takes place in the Michigan legislature." "It is searchable by legislator, keyword, and 50 subject categories, so users can create their own custom 'voting record guide.'"
"Students for a Free Economy"
Students for a Free Economy (SFE) is a project of MCPP designed to promote "free markets, civil society and individual liberty over government coercion." The group provides resources and materials to colleges and universities and act as a network for students.
Michigan school databases
MCPP hosts a number of databases on public schools across the state. These include information on union contracts, revenues, expenditures and other data.
- Collective Bargaining Agreements - data on bargaining agreements from each district in the state
- Revenue and Expenditure Report - provides info on revenue and expenditure for each public school district
- Checkbook Register Report - includes links to all school districts which post their checkbook registers online
- Grant Report - info on categorical grants for each district and allows users to make district-to-district comparisons
- Michigan School Money Primer - explains how revenues are raised for Michigan’s public school system, how it is distributed, and other info
MCPP conducts research on a wide variety of issues affecting the state of Michigan. The Center distributes its work through a number of publications. These include:
- Capital Confidential - highlights votes and proposals of the state legislature, reviews and analyzes policy issues
- Mackinac Center Impact - a newsletter of the Center
- Michigan Education Report - info on state education
- Michigan Privatization Report - info on privatization, distributed to state legislators, and other officials throughout the state
- Michigan Science - info on science-related policy matters
- Universal credits (education tax credits)
- Protect property rights
- Full disclosure (accountability in union finances)
- Standing rule (prevent courts from becoming legislatures)
140 West Main Street
P.O. Box 568
Midland, Michigan 48640