|Last mayoral election:||2011|
|Next mayoral election:||2015|
|Last city council election:||2013|
|Next city council election:||2015|
|City council seats:||20|
|2014-2015 FY Budget:||$275,775,570|
|Population in 2013:||243,344|
Hispanic or Latino 6.8
African American 7.3%
Two or More 3.1%
|Median household income:||$53,958|
|High school graduation rate:||94.8%|
|College graduation rate:||53.3%|
|Related Madison offices|
|Wisconsin Congressional Delegation|
Wisconsin State Legislature
Wisconsin state executive offices
Office of the Mayor
Paul Soglin is the current mayor of Madison.
The Madison City Council - called the Common Council - is the city's primary legislative body. It is also responsible for approving and adopting the city budget.
Commissions, Boards and Committees
The city council is assisted by several commissions, boards and committees, which are responsible for reviewing, analyzing, and commenting upon city policies and legislation. In addition to elected city council members, non-elected citizens may also sit on select advisory boards.
For a full list of Madison's commissions, boards and committees, see here
The city council consists of twenty members, who go by the title of "alders." Each alder is elected by one of Madison's twenty districts.
A full list of city council members can be found here
Madison's adopted operating budget for fiscal year 2014 was $275,775,570.
To contact the mayor's office, see here
To contact Madison's city council, see here.
- Main article: Wisconsin government sector lobbying
By August, the city of Madison had spent a total of $15,868 on lobbying in 2014.
For a list of lobbyists registered with the city of Madison from 2001-2013, see here.
- See also: Dane County, Wisconsin ballot measures
The city of Madison's initiative process follows Wisconsin state law.
- See also: Evaluation of Wisconsin city websites
|Transparency grading process|
- The most current budget is listed.
- Budgets are archived for 14 years.
- Meeting minutes are archived for 7 years.
- Meeting agendas are archived for 7 years.
- A meeting calendar is available and names the times and locations of public meetings.
- Meeting video is available.
- Elected Officials
- Elected officials are listed with a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- Administrative Officials
- Department heads are listed for each department.
- Building Permits and Zoning
- The most recent audit is posted.
- Audits dating back to 1998 are available.
- Bids and RFPs are posted online.
- Public Records
- The public information officer is identified and maintained by the City Clerk position. This person provides a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- Local Taxes
- Tax revenues are broken down by federal, state and local funding in the budget.
- Local taxes, like property taxes, are available online.
- Residents are able to pay taxes online.
- Administrative Officials
- Personalized emails are not provided for all administrative officials.
- Approved contract statements are not available for vendors above $10,000.
- If the city engaged in lobbying actives or if it's a member of government lobbying associations are not disclosed, nor is the total cost of lobbying activities or membership dues for associations available.
- Public Records
- Public records request form and fee schedule not provided.
- U.S. Census "State and County Quick Facts," accessed on August 18, 2014
- City of Madison, "Office of the Mayor," accessed on August 18, 2014
- City of Madison, "Committees," accessed on August 18, 2014
- City of Madison "Common Council: Members," accessed on August 18, 2014
- "City of Madison FY 2014 Adopted Operating Budget Summaries," accessed on August 18, 2014
- Open Secrets, "City of Madison, WI," accessed on August 18, 2014
- Madison, Wisconsin, Budgets, Accessed: November 18, 2012
- Madison, Wisconsin, Meetings, Accessed: November 18, 2012
- Madison, Wisconsin, Elected Officials, Accessed: November 18, 2012
- Madison, Wisconsin, Agencies, Accessed: November 18, 2012
- Madison, Wisconsin, Zoning, Accessed: November 18, 2012
- Madison, Wisconsin, Permits, Accessed: November 18, 2012
- Madison, Wisconsin, Audits, Accessed: November 18, 2012
- Madison, Wisconsin, Bids and RFPs, Accessed: November 18, 2012
- Madison, Wisconsin, City Clerk, Accessed: November 18, 2012
- Madison, Wisconsin, Treasurer, Accessed: November 18, 2012