Maine Superintendent of Insurance
Maine State Executives
| Governor |
Secretary of State • Attorney General
Treasurer • Auditor
Commissioner of Education
Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry Commissioner
Superintendent of Insurance
Public Utilities Commission
The current officeholder is Eric Cioppa. He was appointed to serve as acting director by Gov. Paul LePage on June 1, 2011 after Mila Kofman resigned, and confirmed by the Maine State Senate on September 27, 2011.
The Maine Revised Statutes address the office of superintendent of insurance in Title 24-A, Chapter 3, §201.
The Superintendent of Insurance is the head of the Bureau of Insurance.
As outlined in Title 24-A, Chapter 3, §201 of the Maine Revised Statutes, the superintendent is appointed by the Governor of Maine and subject to review by legislative committee and confirmation by the Legislature.
Superintendents hold office for 5 years or until a successor is named.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Department of Professional & Financial Regulation
Bureau of Insurance
76 Northern Avenue
Gardiner, Maine 04345
34 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0034
Telephone: 800-300-5000 or 207-624-8475
TTY for hearing impaired: 888-577-6690
- MPBN, "LePage Names Acting Superintendent of Insurance Bureau," June 1, 2011
- phttp://www.therepublic.com/view/story/789dfd226cb24019b738cd5ee97e5aa2/ME-XGR--LePage-Confirmations/ TheRepublic.com, "Maine Senate confirms 90 of governor's nominees for boards, commissions," September 27, 2011]
- Maine Revised Statutes "Title 24-A, Chapter 3, §201," Accessed December 18, 2012
- Maine Bureau of Insurance, Accessed December 19, 2012