Maine elections, 2013
Maine election information for 2013 is listed below.
|On the 2013 ballot|
Exceptions include special elections.
|Click here for all|
November 5, 2013
There is one special election scheduled in 2013 for the state of Maine.
State Senate District 19
Sen. Seth Goodall (D) resigned on July 8 to serve as New England District Representative of the Small Business Association. A special election has been called for August 27. Major parties have until July 31 to file a nomination for the ballot.
- Related: See election information here.
Voting in Maine
- See also: Voting in Maine
Important voting information
- Maine uses a closed primary system, meaning voters must register with a party to be able to vote in their primary election.
- You can register to vote at your town office or city hall, through any Motor Vehicle branch office, in most state & federal social service agencies, or at voter registration drives. You can also register by mail. There is no deadline for voter registration if done in person. If registering by mail, the deadline is on the 21st day prior to the election.
- As of August 2014, Maine is one of the 35 states that have not implemented online voter registration.
- See also: Absentee voting by state
For information about eligibility, deadlines, military and overseas voting and updates to the voting laws in Maine, please visit our absentee voting by state page.
- See also: Early voting
Maine is one of 33 states that has early voting with no specific requirements as to who can vote early. Early voting begins as soon as ballots are made available and ends the day before election day.
Elections Performance Index
Maine ranked 14th out of the 50 states and District of Columbia in the Pew Charitable Trusts' Elections Performance Index (EPI), based on the 2012 elections. The EPI examines election administration performance and assigns an average percentage score based on 17 indicators of election performance. These indicators were chosen to in order to determine both the convenience and integrity of these three phases of an election: registration, voting and counting. Maine received an overall score of 69%.
- The Bangor Daily News "Goodall resigns Senate District 19 seat to take post with Small Business Administration," July 10, 2013
- boston.com, "Maine Senate special election set for Aug. 27," July 15, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Long Distance Voter, "Early Voting Rules: Maine," accessed December 19, 2013
- Pew Charitable Trusts, "Election Performance Index Report," accessed April 23, 2014
State of Maine
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |