Maine elections, 2013
Maine election information for 2013 is listed below.
|On the 2013 ballot|
Exceptions include special elections.
|Click here for all|
November 5, 2013
There are both special and regular elections scheduled in 2013 for the state of Maine.
Elections by type
State Senate District 19
Sen. Seth Goodall (D) resigned on July 8 to serve as New England District Representative of the Small Business Association. A special election has been called for August 27, which Eloise Vitelli won. Major parties had until July 31 to file a nomination for the ballot.
- Related: See election information here.
Statewide ballot measures in Maine
- See also: Maine 2013 ballot measures
- All five measures were legislatively-referred state statutes that addressed bond issues.
- Constituents voted on a total of $149,500,000 in bond dollars.
The petition drive deadline for proposed ballot initiatives was January 24, 2013. According to the Maine Secretary of State's office, when contacted by Ballotpedia, no initiatives filed petitions by the deadline. A total of three initiatives were in circulation.
Maine's state legislative session began December 5, 2012. Its statutory adjournment date was June 19, 2013, however the session was actually adjourned on July 10, 2013. One special legislative session was held on Thursday, August 29, 2013. During this special session, the legislature approved all five of the bond issues for the 2013 ballot. On August 30, 2013, Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap and Attorney General Janet Mills determined the order of the bond questions for the November 2013 ballot by selecting the measures at random.
November 5, 2013:
|LRSS||Question 1||Bond issues||$14,000,000 bond for maintenance and improvement projects for Maine Army National Guard readiness centers||
|LRSS||Question 2||Bond issues||$15,500,000 bond to update and improve University of Maine system facilities||
|LRSS||Question 3||Bond issues||$100,000,000 transportation bond to match an estimated to match an estimated $154,000,000 in federal and other funds||
|LRSS||Question 4||Bond issues||$4,500,000 bond for a public-private partnership for a new science facility at the Maine Maritime Academy||
|LRSS||Question 5||Bond issues||$15,500,000 bond to upgrade buildings in the Maine Community College system||
- Related: 2013 ballot measures
Voting in Maine
- See also: Voting in Maine
Important voting information
- Maine uses a closed primary system, meaning voters must register with a party to be able to vote in their primary election.
- You can register to vote at your town office or city hall, through any Motor Vehicle branch office, in most state & federal social service agencies, or at voter registration drives. You can also register by mail. There is no deadline for voter registration if done in person. If registering by mail, the deadline is on the 21st day prior to the election.
- As of April 2014, Maine is one of the 35 states that have not implemented online voter registration.
- See also: Absentee voting by state
For information about eligibility, deadlines, military and overseas voting and updates to the voting laws in Maine, please visit our absentee voting by state page.
- See also: Early voting
Maine is one of 33 states that has early voting with no specific requirements as to who can vote early. Early voting begins as soon as ballots are made available and ends the day before election day.
Elections Performance Index
Maine ranked 14th out of the 50 states and District of Columbia in the Pew Charitable Trusts' Elections Performance Index (EPI), based on the 2010 elections. The EPI examines election administration performance and assigns an average percentage score based on 17 indicators of election performance. These indicators were chosen to in order to determine both the convenience and integrity of these three phases of an election: registration, voting and counting. Maine received an overall score of 69%.
- The Bangor Daily News "Goodall resigns Senate District 19 seat to take post with Small Business Administration," July 10, 2013
- boston.com, "Maine Senate special election set for Aug. 27," July 15, 2013
- Maine State Legislature, "Session Schedule," retrieved July 11, 2013
- Maine Sunday Telegram, "Legislature sends $150 million in bonds to Maine voters," August 30, 2013
- Maine Secretary of State, "Secretary of State Announces Order of Bond Questions for November 5, 2013 Referendum Election Ballot," August 30, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Long Distance Voter, "Early Voting Rules: Maine," accessed December 19, 2013
- Pew Charitable Trusts, Election Performance Index Report
State of Maine
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |