Maine gubernatorial election, 2014
June 10, 2014
November 4, 2014
LePage has said that will likely seek a second term as governor. However in June 2013, LePage surprised even his own political adviser when he announced that he might forgo a 2014 re-election bid in order to run for Rep. Mike Michaud's seat in the U.S. House, which will be opened in 2014 assuming Michaud follows through on his anticipated gubernatorial campaign. LePage said he was exploring the congressional race, "because it can't be any worse in Washington than it is here...Everything's on the table. Retirement, Social Security, running for Congress, maybe going back to Marden's to stock shelves. Who knows? I don't take myself as seriously as all you do."
A report released by Governing in December 2012 named him as one of five governors vulnerable to losing re-election in 2013-2014.
Maine has a closed primary system, in which the selection of a party's candidates in a primary election is limited to registered members of that party.
|Office||Incumbent||Assumed Office||Incumbent running?|
Note: The following list of candidates is not official and will continue to be updated until the 2014 candidate filing deadline. Candidates will be added as we come across them prior to the deadline. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
- Paul LePage - Incumbent
- Mike Michaud - U.S. House Rep.
- Eliot Cutler - Former congressional aide and 2010 Independent candidate for governor
- Adam Eldridge - Project Engineer
- David Slagger, Maine Green Independent Party - Ex-Maliseet Tribal Rep. to the state legislature and 2012 state house candidate
- Lee Schultheis - Retired finance executive
- Governor of Maine
- Maine state executive official elections, 2014
- State executive official elections, 2014
- The Washington Post blogs, "Rep. Mike Michaud steps into Maine governors race," June 13, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Governing Politics, "2013-2014 Governor's Races: Who's Vulnerable?," December 11, 2012
- Paul LePage for Governor 2014 Official campaign website, "Homepage," accessed October 3, 2013
- LePage for Governor 2014 Official Campaign Website, "Homepage," accessed September 9, 2013
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2013-2014 Gubernatorial Races," March 4, 2013
- Michaud 2014 For Governor Official Campaign Website, "Homepage," accessed June 26, 2013
- Eliot Cutler for Maine 2014 Official Campaign Website, "Homepage," accessed September 9, 2013
- Bangor Daily News, "Independent Eliot Cutler announces run for governor in Bangor," September 24, 2013
- Kennebec Journal, "Michaud to formalize gubernatorial bid Thursday in Lewiston," August 14, 2013
- David Slagger for Governor 2014 Official Campaign Website, "Homepage," accessed September 9, 2013
- GBNR 2014 Official Campaign Website of Lee Schulteis, "Homepage," accessed September 9, 2013
State of Maine
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |