|Wisconsin State Assembly District 11|
|January 7, 2013 – present|
|January 1, 2017|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|High school||John Marshall High School|
|Bachelor's||Alabama A&M University (2008)|
|Place of birth||Milwaukee, Wisconsin|
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Barnes served on the following committees:
|Wisconsin Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Jobs and the Economy|
|• Small Business Development|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Barnes served on the following committees:
|Wisconsin Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• State and Federal Relations|
|• Urban and Local Affairs|
|• Urban Education|
|• Ways and Means|
|• Workforce Development|
Barnes's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Create jobs through local investment
- Prioritize our children by refunding Public Education
- Modernize our public transportation system to be more sustainable and accessible across the state
- Be THERE as a representative of the people
- See also: Wisconsin State Assembly elections, 2014
Elections for all 99 seats in the Wisconsin State Assembly took place in 2014. A primary election took place on August 12, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 2, 2014. Incumbent Mandela Barnes was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Barnes was unopposed in the general election.
- See also: Wisconsin State Assembly elections, 2012
Barnes won election in the 2012 election for Wisconsin State Assembly District 11. He defeated incumbent Jason Fields (D) in the Democratic primary on August 14 and was unopposed in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Wisconsin State Assembly, District 11, General Election, 2012|
|Wisconsin State Assembly, District 11 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Jason Fields Incumbent||31.7%||1,206|
Comprehensive donor information for Barnes is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Barnes raised a total of $27,730 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 5, 2013.
|Mandela Barnes's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Wisconsin State Assembly, District 11||$27,730|
|Grand Total Raised||$27,730|
2012Barnes won election to the Wisconsin State Assembly in 2012. During that election cycle, Barnes raised a total of $27,730.
|Wisconsin State Assembly 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Mandela Barnes's campaign in 2012|
|Painters Local 781||$500|
|American Federation of Teachers||$500|
|Wisconsin Federation of Nurses & Health Professionals||$500|
|Wisconsin State Auto Workers||$500|
|International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$27,730|
|Source: Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the Wisconsin State Legislature was in session from January 14 through June 4.
- Legislators are scored on their stances on voting, money in politics and democracy reform legislation.
- Legislators are scored on "how well [their votes] represented the priorities of the MMAC."
- Legislators are scored on whether they voted for or against NPCW's position.
- Legislators are scored on whether they voted for or against the Wisconsin AFL-CIO's position.
- Legislators are scored on their stances on conservation issues.
- Legislators are scored on their votes on legislation WMC deemed as "most important issues for the business community."
- Legislators are scored on their votes on legislation that "impact Wisconsin's law enforcement community."
- Legislators are scored on their votes on environmental bills.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google News search for the term "Mandela + Barnes + Wisconsin + Assembly"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Wisconsin State Legislature
- Wisconsin State Assembly
- Wisconsin State Assembly Committees
- Wisconsin Joint Committees
- Wisconsin state legislative districts
- Wisconsin Assembly Office Website
- Friends of Mandela Barnes
- Barnes on Facebook
- Follow Barnes on Twitter
- Profile from Open States
- Wisconsin Vote.org-Mandela Barnes (Archive)
- Campaign Contributions: 2012
- Mandela for Wisconsin Official Campaign Website, "Home," accessed August 10, 2012
- Wisconsin Government Accountability, "Candidates Registered by Office," June 11, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "2014 Partisan Primary Candidates," accessed June 19, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Canvass Results for 2014 General Election," December 1, 2014
- Government Accountability Board, "2012 Fall Partisan Primary," accessed May 5, 2014
- Government Accountability Board, "2012 Fall General Election," accessed May 5, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Barnes, Mandela," accessed June 5, 2013
Jason Fields (D)
|Wisconsin State Assembly District 11
| Succeeded by|
State of Wisconsin
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection| Secretary of Natural Resources | Secretary of Workforce Development | Public Service Commission |