|Texas State House, District 95|
|2005 - Present|
|January 11, 2013|
|Years in position||9|
|Per diem||$150 per day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
- 1 Committee assignments
- 2 Issues
- 3 Elections
- 4 Campaign donors
- 5 Legislative sessions
- 6 Scorecards
- 7 External links
- 8 References
Veasey is a community activist and has worked as a health care consultant, Legislative Aide to Democratic Congressman Martin Frost, Realtor, sports writer for Source Media's IT Network, and for the Star-Telegram.
Veasey is a member of the Fort Worth Ambassadors, Tarrant County Black Genealogical Society Advisory Committee, and Volunteer Center of Tarrant County.
Marc Veasey serves on the following Texas House of Representatives committees:
- Elections Committee
- Pensions, Investments & Financial Services Committee
- Redistricting Committee
- Voter Identification & Voter Fraud, Select Committee Vice Chair
- Environmental Regulation Committee, Texas House
- Pensions, Investments & Financial Services Committee, Texas House
- Redistricting Committee, Texas House
- HB 616 - Relating to a study regarding the effectiveness of the James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Act.
- HB 860 - Relating to sanctions available for certain academically unacceptable campuses.
- HB 3089 - Relating to the disposition of vehicles by a local government participating in a program designed to encourage the use of low-emission vehicles.
Veasey did not provide answers to the 2008 Political Courage Test. The test provides voters with how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected.
| Texas House of Representatives, District 95 |
2010 General election results
|Mark Veasey (D)||19,835||100%|
On November 4, 2008, Veasey won re-election to the Texas House of Representatives from Texas's 95th District, defeating Hy Siegel (L). Veasey received 39,150 votes in the election while Siegel received 1,838 votes. Veasey raised $263,431 for his campaign; Siegel raised $50.
|Texas House of Representatives, District 95|
|Marc Veasey (D)||39,150||95.51%|
|Hy Siegel (L)||1,838||4.48%|
In 2010, Veasey received $201,344 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Texas House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Marc Veasey's campaign in 2010|
|Bill White For Texas Governor||$10,000|
|Texas Values In Action Coalition||$8,000|
|Texas Trial Lawyers Association||$4,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$201,344|
Below are Veasey's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|Texas Democratic Party||$10,600|
Representative Veasey announced in July 2011 his intentions of filing a lawsuit to block the state's congressional redistricting plan. He claimed the plan disproportionately diluted minority voting power in the Lone Star State. Commenting on the redistricting plan Veasy stated "It is Republicans harming minority voters and breaking the law in order to hold and expand their power. It is shameful that Republican leaders in Texas would rather attack and destroy the voting rights of minority citizens than work hard to earn the respect of African-American and Hispanic voters."
Empower Texans Fiscal Responsibility Index
Empower Texans produces the Fiscal Responsibility Index as "a measurement of how lawmakers perform on size and role of government issues." The index uses "exemplar votes on core budget and free enterprise issues that demonstrate legislators' governing philosophy." Legislators are graded along a standard grading scale, receiving grades A through F based on their performance during the legislative session.
Marc Veasey received a grade of F on the 2011 Fiscal Responsibility Index.
- Marc Veasey's campaign website
- Texas House of Representatives - Rep. Veasey
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004
- Freedom Speaks profile
- Texas State Directory profile
- Texas Political Almanac HD 95 page
- Texas Tribune profile & bio
- Vote-TX.org profile
- State Surge profile
- Marc Veasey on Facebook
- Marc Veasey on Twitter
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Veasey
- Texas Legislature - Bills Authored/Joint Authored by Rep. Veasey
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Veasey Issue Positions
- Official Texas Election Results
- Texas House official election results for 2008
- District 95 Texas House candidate funds, 2008
- Follow the Money - 2010 Contributions
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
- Star-Telegram, "Fort Worth legislator plans legal challenge to Texas' congressional redistricting map", July 14, 2011
- Empower Texans, "Fiscal Responsibility Index"
|Texas House District 95
| Succeeded by|
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
Texas school districts A - L |
Texas school districts M - Z |