|Michigan House of Representatives District 61|
|January 1, 2011-Present|
|January 1, 2015|
|Years in position||3|
|Per diem||$10,800 yearly expense allowance|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Term limits||3 terms|
|Bachelor's||James Madison College at Michigan State University, 1996|
|Birthday||November 20, 1973|
|Place of birth||Kalamazoo, MI|
|Profession||Real Estate Agent|
- 1 Issues
- 2 Committee assignments
- 3 Issues
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Recent news
- 7 Scorecards
- 8 Personal
- 9 External links
- 10 References
O'Brien is a volunteer for Catholic Family Services and has served as such since her graduation from college. She is also a real estate agent for REMAX Advantage Realty.
O'Brien graduated from Michigan State University.
O'Brien's website highlights the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt:"We need to turn Michigan's economy around by creating a better business climate. I will work to reduce burdensome taxes and regulations that send our jobs out of our state."
- Excerpt:"We need to find a better way to fund essential government services. We need to overhaul our tax structure, not merely change it by moving numbers around as we did with the Michigan Business Tax."
- Excerpt:"I will be a good steward of your tax dollars. As a small business owner, I understand how to budget and how to make painful cuts during difficult times. I understand the negative consequences we experience when our taxes increase. I will make the tough decisions"
- Excerpt:"I will advocate for children getting a solid education in the public, private and home school systems. I will fight to maintain parental control for their children's education."
- Excerpt:"We must continue to provide opportunities for all sources of energy to compete."
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, O'Brien served on the following committees:
|Michigan Committee Assignments, 2012|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, O'Brien served on these committees:
O'Brien won election in the 2012 election for Michigan House of Representatives District 61. He was unopposed in the August 7 Republican primary and defeated Michael Martin (D) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 61, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Michael Martin Incumbent||58.2%||27,726|
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 61 General election (2010)|
|Margaret O'Brien (R)'||21,919|
|Thomas Batten (D)||13,671|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, O'Brien raised $44,855 in contributions. 
Her two largest contributors were:
|Michigan Association Of Realtors||$2,500|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Margaret + O'Brien + Michigan + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Tea Party Scorecard
The Independent Tea Party Patriots, a Michigan Tea Party group, grades the votes of this and every other Michigan legislator on “core tea party issues” in a regularly-updated scorecard. 100% is considered an ideal rating.
January 2011 - March 2012
Margaret O'Brien received a 71% rating on the January 2011 - March 2012 Tea Party Scorecard.
O'Brien and her husband Nick have two children.
- House website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- "margaretobrien," Official Campaign Website
- Mitt Romney Campaign Website "Mitt Romney Announces Support of Michigan Speaker of The House Jase Bolger and Additional Members of The Michigan Legislature," September 19, 2011
- Associated Press "Michigan - Summary Vote Results," Accessed August 7, 2012
- 2010 contributions
- Michigan Votes, "Tea Party Scorecard Jan 2011-Mar 2012," accessed June 25, 2012
Larry DeShazor (R)
|Michigan House of Representatives District 61
| Succeeded by|
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
Michigan Supreme Court | Supreme Court Elections | Court of Appeals | First Circuit Court of Appeals | Second Circuit Court of Appeals | Third Circuit Court of Appeals | Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals | List of Michigan Circuit Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |