|U.S. House, California, District 13|
|High school||San Diego Senior High (1965)|
|J.D.||University of California (1995)|
|Birthday||December 27, 1947|
|Place of birth||San Diego, California|
- 1973: UCSF, MD, Medicine
- 1995: University of California, Berkeley, JD, Law
- 1969: Stanford, B.A., Psychology, Pre-med
- 1965: San Diego Senior High
Singleton has been a physician since 1973. She went to law school to learn more about administrative law and how to fix the health care system and subsequently worked at the National Health Law Project and in health and insurance law.
Singleton's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Excerpt: "We want limited but effective government that gives us value for our tax dollars. We want government to protect our lives, not run our lives. Washington is spending $10.4 billion per day – three times more than in 2007."
- Excerpt: "The state of education in government schools is abysmal. The quality of education is the number one civil rights issue in the minority community. Each year more than one million high school seniors fail to graduate. Every day 7,000 children drop out of high school. Clearly, Washington’s pouring more money into education since 1971 has not improved the product."
- Excerpt: "Whether you believe global warming is man-made or represents another age in the 4 billion years the earth has lived, we should try to keep our environment clean and healthy and preserve it for future generations. It is just the right thing to do."
- Health Care
- Excerpt: "We all agreed that something had to be done to improve healthcare delivery in our country. But the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) neither protects patients nor is affordable."
- Excerpt: "We have people from all over the world who are here illegally. This is a palpable problem but Americans like a success story and do not hate immigrants. What we do not like is the lack of a reasonable immigration policy and the piece-meal enforcement of the laws already in place."
Singleton ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing California's 13th District. She and district 9 incumbent Barbara Lee (D) advanced past the June 5, 2012, blanket primary, defeating Justin Jelincic (D). They faced off in the November 6, 2012, general election and Lee won.
|U.S. House, California District 13 General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Barbara Lee Incumbent||86.8%||250,436|
|Independent||Marilyn M. Singleton||13.2%||38,146|
|Source: California Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House, California District 13, 2012 - Marilyn Singleton Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Winner||$1,167,292|
|Total Spent by Election Winner||$1,148,468|
|Top contributors to Marilyn Singleton's campaign committee|
|Air Tech Sales||$7,499|
|Assn of American Physicians & Surgeons||$5,000|
|El Camino College||$4,400|
|American Society of Anesthesiologists||$1,000|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Securities & Investment||$500|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Marilyn + Singleton + California + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Extension:RSS -- Error: Not a valid URL: http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&gl=us&q=Marilyn+Singleton+California+House&um=1&ie=UTF-8&output=rss%7Ctemplate=slpfeed%7Cmax=10%7Ctitle=Marilyn Singleton News Feed
- CNN "California Districts Race - 2012 Election Center"
- Singleton for Congress "Bio" Accessed May 21, 2012
- Marilyn Singleton for Congress Facebook page "Info" Accessed May 21, 2012
- Campaign website, Issues
- California Secretary of State, Official candidate list
- Unofficial election results
- Open Secrets "Marilyn Singleton 2012 Election Cycle," Accessed March 19, 2013