|U.S. House, Oklahoma, District 2|
|January 3, 2013-Present|
|January 3, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Predecessor||Brad Carson (D)|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Stilwell High School|
|Bachelor's||Missouri Valley College (attended)|
|Associate's||Oklahoma State University Institute of Technology|
|Birthday||July 26, 1977|
|Place of birth||Tulsa, Oklahoma|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Career
- 3 Committee assignments
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Polls
- 7 Analysis
- 8 Personal
- 9 Recent news
- 10 External links
- 11 References
Mullin ran against and defeated George Faught in a runoff election on August 28, 2012, after no candidate received enough of the votes to win the nomination in the Republican primary on June 26, 2012. He then defeated Rob Wallace (D) Michael Fulks (I) in the November 6, 2012 general election.
Based on analysis of multiple outside rankings, Mullin is a more moderate right of center Republican Party vote. As a result, he may break with the Republican Party line more than his fellow members.
Mullin is the youngest of seven children and was raised in Westville, Oklahoma. At the age of 19, he took over his father's business. Today, Mullin Plumbing is one of the successful companies Mullin owns in the state of Oklahoma. Mullin is also a rodeo enthusiast and avid hunter.
Below is an abbreviated outline of Mullin's academic, professional and political career:
- 1996: Attended Missouri Valley College
- 2010: Oklahoma State University Institute of Technology, earned his A.D.
- 1996-Present: Owner, Mullin Plumbing
- 2013-Preseent: United States House of Representatives from Oklahoma
Mullin serves on the following committees:
- United States House Committee on Natural Resources
- Subcommittee on Indian and Alaska Native Affairs
- Subcommittee on Water and Power
- United States House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
- Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Buildings and Emergency Management
- Subcommittee on Highways and Transit
- Subcommittee on Water Resources and Environment
Mullin won election in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Oklahoma's 2nd District. Mullin defeated George Faught, Wayne Pettigrew, Dustin Rowe, Dwayne Thompson, and Dakota Wood in the June 26, 2012 primary. He then defeated George Faught in a runoff election on August 28, 2012, after no candidate received enough of the votes to win the nomination in the Republican primary on June 26, 2012. He went on to defeat Rob Wallace (D) Michael Fulks (I) in the November 6, 2012 general election.
|U.S. House, Oklahoma District 2 General Election, 2012|
|Source: Oklahoma Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
Primary Runoff-August 28, 2012
|U.S. House of Representatives Runoff Election, Oklahoma, Congressional District 2 Republican Primary, 2012|
On June 14, 2012, the Conservative Action Fund - a group dedicated to electing Conservative leaders - began running radio ads supporting Mullin in the GOP primary. CAF Chairman Shaun McCutcheon said, "Markwayne has the conservative values and private sector experience that Washington needs."
Mullin came under intense scrutiny concerning his possible ties to a former employee of Mullin Plumbing who was arrested in 2009 and convicted on federal gun charges. The employee, a Timothy Lee Saylor, had previously been convicted on several felony charges in California. Mullin has said that Saylor did not face a background check because he came into Mullin Plumbing after the company purchased another firm. The question of Mullin's ties to Saylor comes by way of a 2009 affidavit that references a "straw purchase" of a handgun that was in Saylor's possession. At the time, local police did not investigate because they found it reasonable that Mullin did not know Saylor was a convicted felon.
Comprehensive donor information for Mullin is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Mullin raised a total of $1,704,561 during that time period. This information was last updated on April 22, 2013.
|Markwayne Mullin's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||US House (Oklahoma, District 2)||$1,704,561|
|Grand Total Raised||$1,704,561|
|Markwayne Mullin (2014) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|April Quarterly||April 15, 2013||$23,102.49||$143,150.00||$(95,149.98)||$71,102.51|
|July Quarterly||July 15, 2013||$71,102.51||$103,635.83||$(57,013.58)||$117,724.76|
|U.S. House of Representatives, Oklahoma's 2nd Congressional District, 2012 - Markwayne Mullin Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Runner-up||$1,220,586|
|Total Spent by Election Runner-up||$1,200,586|
|Top contributors to Markwayne Mullin's campaign committee|
|Republican Party of Oklahoma||$17,500|
|Custom Heat & Air||$15,000|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Oil & Gas||$78,750|
|Special Trade Contractors||$66,976|
A Cole Hargrave Snodgrass & Associates poll commissioned by the Mullin campaign shows Mullin leading the GOP field.
|Oklahoma's Congressional District 2, 2012|
|Poll||Markwayne Mullin (R)||George Faught (R)||Wayne Pettigrew (R)||Undecided||Margin of Error||Sample Size|
(June 4-5, 2012)
|Note: The polls above may not reflect all polls that have been conducted in this race. Those displayed are a random sampling chosen by Ballotpedia staff. If you would like to nominate another poll for inclusion in the table, send an email to email@example.com|
Ideology and leadership
Lifetime voting record
According to the website GovTrack, Mullin missed 0 of 108 roll call votes from January 2013 to April 2013. This amounts to 0.0%, which is better than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving as of April 2013. 
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Mullin's net worth as of 2011 was estimated between $1,141,030 to $2,693,000. That averages to $1,917,015, which is lower than the average net worth of Republican House members in 2011 of $7,859,232.
Voting with party
The website Open Congress tracks how often members of Congress vote with the majority of the chamber caucus. According to the website, Mullin has voted with the Republican Party 94.8% of the time. This ranked 181st among the 233 House Republicans as of June 2013.
Mullin has been married to his high school sweetheart, Christie, for 14 years. They have three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Markwayne + Mullin + Oklahoma + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
Extension:RSS -- Error: Not a valid URL: http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&gl=us&q=Markwayne+Mullin+Oklahoma+House&um=1&ie=UTF-8&output=rss%7Ctemplate=slpfeed%7Cmax=10%7Ctitle=Markwayne Mullin News Feed
- Social media:
- Political profiles:
- Financial (federal level):
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Media appearances:
- Media coverage:
- Oklahoma Elections Division "Election Results" Accessed June 26, 2012
- AP Results "U.S. House runoff primary results" Accessed August 28, 2012
- Politico "2012 Election Map"
- National Journal, "Oklahoma, 2nd House District," November 6, 2012
- CQ.com, House Committee Rosters for the 113th Congress
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Oklahoma Secretary of State, "Primary Runoff Election Results," September 4, 2012
- conservativeactionfund.com Press release Accessed June 21, 2012
- Claremore Daily Progress "Mulling Candidacy Scrutinized" Accessed June 21, 2012
- Open Secrets "Career Fundraising for Markwayne Mullin," Accessed April 22, 2013
- Federal Election Commission "Markwayne Mullin Summary Report," Accessed August 1, 2013
- Federal Election Commission "Markwayne Mullin April Quarterly," Accessed August 1st, 2013
- Federal Election Commission "Markwayne Mullin July Quarterly," Accessed July 30, 2013
- Open Secrets "Markwayne Mullin 2012 Election Cycle," Accessed March 4, 2013
- Roll Call "Oklahoma: Markwayne Mullin Internal Poll Shows Him Ahead in GOP Primary" Accessed Jun 16, 2012
- Gov Track "Markwayne Mullin," Accessed June 4, 2013
- GovTrack, "Markwayne Mullin," Accessed April 17, 2013
- OpenSecrets.org "Markwayne Mullin (R-Okla), 2011," accessed February 22, 2013
- Open Congress "Voting With Party," Accessed June 4, 2013
|U.S. House of Representatives - Oklahoma District 2
| Succeeded by|