Martin David Kiar
|Martin David Kiar|
|Running for Florida State Senate, District 34|
|Date of primary||August 14, 2012|
|General election||November 6, 2012|
|Florida House Of Representatives District 97|
|2006 - Present|
|November 16, 2012|
|Years in position||7|
|Per diem||$133/per day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Next election||November 6, 2012|
|Term limits||4 terms (8 years)|
|Bachelor's||Palm Beach Atlantic University (1999)|
|J.D.||Nova Southeastern University College of Law (2002)|
|Birthday||June 19, 1977|
|Place of birth||Pembroke Pines, Florida|
Kiar has worked as an Attorney for Monroe D. Kiar and Associates from 2003-2004, and for Johnson, Anselmo, Murdock, Burke, George, Public Attorneys from 2002-2003.
He is a member of the Broward County DGC, Coral Springs/Parkland Democratic Club, Davie Cooper City Democratic Club, Federal Bar of the Southern District of Florida, Florida Bar Association, Pine Island Ridge Democratic Club, and Western Democratic Club.
Kiar did not provide answers to the Florida State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test. The test provides voters with how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected.
Kiar's sponsored legislation includes:
- HB 115 - "Sexual Offenders and Predators: Encourages all public libraries to implement an Internet safety education program for children and adults; requires sexual offenders & predators to provide home telephone numbers & any cellular telephone numbers as part of registration process"
- HB 219 - "Offenses Against Computer Users: Defines term "spyware"; provides that whoever willfully, knowingly, & without authorization introduces any computer contaminant, including spyware, into any computer, computer system, computer program, or computer network commits offense against computer users; provides criminal penalties"
- HB 1089 - "Local Government: Specifies standards of conduct for officers & employees of entities serving as chief administrative officer of political subdivision; provides for penalties to be imposed against persons other than lobbyists or public officers & employees for violations of Code of Ethics for Public Officers & Employees; provides for Commission on Ethics to report to Governor violations involving persons other than lobbyists or public officers & employees."
For details and a full listing of sponsored bills, see the House site.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Kiar has been appointed to these committees:
- Subcommittee on Civil Justice
- Subcommittee on K-20 Innovation
- Subcommittee on Pre K-12 Appropriations, Ranking Minority Member
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Kiar served on these committees:
- Education Policy Council
- Government Accountability Act Council
- PreK-12 Appropriations Committee (Ranking Minority Member)
- PreK-12 Policy Committee
- See also: Florida State Senate elections, 2012
Kiar is running in the 2012 election for Florida State Senate District 34. Kiar is running against William David Rankin in the Democratic primary on August 14, 2012. The general election takes place on November 6, 2012.
On November 4, 2008, Kiar won re-election to the Florida House of Representatives from Florida's 97th District, defeating Todd Goberville (R). Kiar received 40,103 votes in the election while Goberville received 28,871 votes. Kiar raised $241,808 for his campaign; Goberville raised $80,522.
|Florida House of Representatives, District 97|
|Martin David Kiar (D)||40,103||58.1%|
|Todd Goberville (R)||28,871||41.9%|
In 2010, Kiar raised $82,136 in contributions. 
His two largest contributors were:
|Hospital Corp Of America||$2,000|
|Broward Teachers Local 1975||$1,500|
Below are Kiar's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|Hospital Corporation of America||$4,000|
|Broward Teachers Union||$3,000|
|FL Cable Telecommunications Assoc||$2,000|
- Florida House of Representatives - Rep. Martin David Kiar
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004
- Martin Kiar on LinkedIn
- ↑ Project Vote Smart - Rep. Kiar Biography
- ↑ Project Vote Smart - Rep. Kiar Issue Positions
- ↑ Florida Division of Elections "Candidate List" Accessed April 15, 2012
- ↑ Florida Election Watch - 2010 Election results
- ↑ Florida House official election results for 2008
- ↑ District 97 Florida House candidate funds, 2008
- ↑ 2010 contributions
- ↑ Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
|Florida House of Representatives District 97
| Succeeded by|
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |
Sunshine Law | Transparency Checklist | Government corruption reports | Transparency Legislation | Open Records procedures | Transparency Advocates | State budget | Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
List of School Districts |