|Minnesota House of Representatives District 8B|
|2011 - present|
|January 6, 2015|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of Minnesota|
|Birthday||March 1, 1977|
|Profession||Credit Representative/Licensed Childcare Provider|
Prior to her time in the legislature, Franson worked as a Credit Representative with AT&T. She is also a licensed childcare provider.
Franson graduated from the University of Minnesota-Duluth with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and a minor in Humanities.
Franson's website highlights the following campaign themes:
Strengthening our Economy
- Excerpt:"Mary believes state government should hold the line on tax increases and live within its means – just like families in Douglas and Otter Tail counties do every day."
Job Creation is a Top Priority
- Excerpt:"Mary has worked to remove regulations that stifle business growth and expansion. When our small-town main streets prosper, we all prosper!"
Making Good Schools Even Better
- Excerpt:"Mary Franson will work to secure fair education funding and ensure there is reform and accountability for every dollar spent. Mary supports high academic standards and challenging coursework to prepare students to compete in the global economy."
Standing Up for Family Farmers and Agriculture
- Excerpt:"Mary knows farmers are the best stewards of the land. She will work to roll back excessive state regulations and ensure the PCA, DNR and Department of Agriculture serve as partners who assist – not hinder – farmers and their ag operations."
Ensuring Affordable Health Care
- Excerpt:"Minnesota has the best health care in the world, but we need to make it more accessible and affordable through competition in the health insurance market – not through a government takeover. Government-run health care limits treatment options and leads to rationing."
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Franson served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Early Childhood and Youth Development Policy|
|• Health and Human Services Policy|
|• Higher Education Finance and Policy|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Franson served on these committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Agriculture and Rural Development|
|• Health and Human Services Finance|
|• Health and Human Services Reform|
Franson won re-election in the 2012 election for Minnesota House of Representatives District 8B. He was unopposed in the Republican primary on August 7 and defeated Bob Cunniff (D) in the general election on November 6.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 8B, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Mary Franson Incumbent||50%||10,640|
Franson won election to the District 11B Seat in 2010. She had no primary opposition. She defeated Amy Hunter (DFL) and Bert Pexsa (Independence Party of Minnesota) in the general election on November 2, 2010.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 11B (2010)|
|Amy Hunter (DFL)||5,147||32.88%|
|Mary Franson (R)||7,798||49.81%|
|Bert Pexsa (Independence)||2,680||17.12%|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, Franson raised $23,439 in contributions.
Her two largest contributors were:
|Todd County Republican Party||$1,300|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Mary + Franson + Minnesota + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Franson has three children.
- House website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Facebook profile
- "fransonforstatehouse," Official Campaign Website
- Minnesota Secretary of State
- Minnesota Secretary of State "2012 State General Election Candidate Filings," Accessed June 18, 2012
- Minnesota Secretary of State, Official 2012 Primary Results
- Minnesota Secretary of State – 2010 General Election Results
- 2010 contributions
Roger Crawford (R)
|Minnesota House of Representatives District 8B
| Succeeded by|
Mary Ellen Otremba (DFL)
|Minnesota House of Representatives District 11B
| Succeeded by|
Tim Faust (DFL)
State of Minnesota
St. Paul (capital)
Minnesota State Constitution | House of Representatives | Senate | County Attorney | House Research Department | Legislative Reference Library | Senate Counsel Research and Fiscal Analysis | Legislative Auditor |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Commissioner of Management and Budget | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chair of Public Utilities |