Maryland Secretary of Agriculture
|Maryland Secretary of Agriculture|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2014 FY Budget:||$48,915,743|
|Authority:||Annotated Code of Maryland - Title 2 and the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) - Title XV|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the governor|
|Assumed office:||May 14, 2009|
|Other Maryland Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Comptroller • Treasurer • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Secretary • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Secretary of Labor • Public Service Commission|
The authority of the Department of Agriculture and its secretary comes under the Annotated Code of Maryland - Title 2 and the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) - Title XV.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that establishes the requirements necessary to qualify for a state executive office. That information for the Maryland Secretary of Agriculture has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The Secretary of Agriculture is appointed by the Governor, with the advice and consent of the Senate.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the Maryland Secretary of Agriculture has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The vision and mission statement of the Maryland Department of Agriculture is as follows:
"Our Vision is to achieve excellence in programs and in services that preserve and protect agricultural resources and the environment, promote profitable agriculture and consumer confidence, and enhance the quality of life for all Marylanders."
"Our Mission is to provide leadership and support to agriculture and the citizens of Maryland by conducting regulatory, service, and educational activities that assure consumer confidence, protect the environment, and promote agriculture."
The Maryland Department of Agriculture is divided into three main offices:
- Office of Marketing, Animal Industries and Consumer Services
- Office of Plant Industries and Pest Management
- Office of Resource Conservation
The Secretary of Agriculture's budget for fiscal year 2014 was $48,915,743.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Maryland Secretary of Agriculture has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Maryland + Secretary + of + Agriculture
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loans Available in Maryland Following Secretary ... - SYS-CON Media (press release)
- Uphill battle for Eastern Shore delegates - Delmarva Now
- Republican candidates report on money race - Bethany Beach Wave
- SSCC Meeting Set For January 16 - Southern Maryland News Net
- AP News in Brief at 8:58 pm EST - Fort Worth Star Telegram
- Lower Shore economic summit shows optimism, gloom - Delmarva Now
- Former Agriculture Secretary Clayton Yeutter battles cancer at 83 - Omaha World-Herald
- Salisbury Area Chamber of Commerce economic forecast will shed new light - Bethany Beach Wave
- Two More Retailers Arrested for Food Stamp Fraud - 7thSpace Interactive (press release)
- Perdue plant to close, slashing 650 jobs - Allentown Morning Call
Secretary of Agriculture
Earl F. Hance
50 Harry S Truman Pkwy.
Annapolis, MD 21401
- Governor: Martin O'Malley (D)
- Lieutenant Governor: Anthony G. Brown (D)
- Attorney General: Douglas F. Gansler (D)
- Secretary of State: John P. McDonough (D)
- Secretary of Agriculture: Earl F. 'Buddy' Hance
- Treasurer of State: Nancy K. Kopp (D)
- Maryland State Archives, "Department of Agriculture - Origins," accessed September 24, 2011
- Maryland Department of Agriculture, Laws-Legislation
- Maryland Department of Agriculture, "Vision and Mission Statement," accessed May 23, 2013
- http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/Chapters_noln/CH_423_hb0100e.pdf 2013 Laws of Maryland, "Chapter 423, Budget Bill (Fiscal Year 2014)," 65, accessed June 27, 2013]
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved June 25, 2011