Maryland Secretary of Natural Resources
|Maryland Secretary of Natural Resources|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|Length of term:||Serves at the governor's pleasure|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the governor|
|Assumed office:||March 15, 2007|
|Other Maryland Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Comptroller • Treasurer • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Secretary • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Secretary of Labor • Public Service Commission|
The current officeholder is Joseph Gill. Gill was appointed by Gov. Martin O'Malley (D) and sworn in May 21, 2013. Gill was appointed to replace previous secretary John Griffin, who resigned in order to accept a new position as O'Malley's Chief of Staff.
Prior to his appointment, Gill served as Deputy Secretary of the Department of Natural Resources from 2010-13, and Principal Counsel to the Department of Natural Resources from 1996-2010.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that authorizes the creation of a state executive office. That information for the Maryland Secretary of Natural Resources has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The Department coordinates all natural resources activities within the State and reviews and evaluates all natural resources policies, plans, programs, and practices of county, State, regional and federal agencies and institutions.
The Department of Natural Resources is divided into three main programs:
- Aquatic Resources
- Land Resources
- Mission Support
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Office of Secretary
Department of Natural Resources
Tawes State Office Building
580 Taylor Ave.
Annapolis, MD 21401-2397
Phone: (410) 260-8100 Fax: (410) 260-8111
TTY: (410) 260-8835
- Natural Resources Commissioner
- Current Secretary Joseph Gill
- Former Secretary John Griffin
- Maryland state executive offices
- Maryland State Archives, "Department of Natural Resources - Functions," accessed September 24, 2011
- Maryland Manual Online, "Governor's Staff," accessed May 23, 2013
- Maryland Department of Natural Resources, "Secretary," accessed May 23, 2013
- Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Functions
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved June 21, 2011