Difference between revisions of "Maryland Treasurer"
m (Text replace - "| style="width:60%; background:#F08080; margin-top:.1em; border:.5px solid #cccccc; solid" to "| style="width:40%; background:#e5e4e2; margin-top:.1em; border:.5px solid #cccccc; solid")
|Line 100:||Line 100:|
Revision as of 07:56, 24 December 2013
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2014 FY Budget:||$131,969,276|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Maryland Constitution, Article 6, Section 1|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the State Legislature|
|Name:||Nancy K. Kopp|
|Assumed office:||February 14, 2002|
|Other Maryland Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Comptroller • Treasurer • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Secretary • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Secretary of Labor • Public Service Commission|
The Maryland Treasurer is a state executive position in the Maryland state government. Elected to a four-year term by the General Assembly, the treasurer manages the money of the state.
Article 6, Section 1:
|There shall be a Treasury Department, consisting of a Comptroller chosen by the qualified electors of the State, who shall receive such salary as may be fixed by law; and a Treasurer, to be appointed...|
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that establishes the requirements necessary to qualify for a state executive office. That information for the Maryland Treasurer has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
Maryland treasurers are appointed by the two houses of the state legislature at the beginning of each regular session in which begins the term of Governor. Thus, 2007, 2011 and 2015 are treasurer appointment years.
The treasurer qualifies within one month of his or her appointment.
Article 6, Section 1:
|In case of a vacancy in the office of the Treasurer by death or otherwise, the Deputy Treasurer shall act as Treasurer until the next regular or extraordinary session of the Legislature following the creation of the vacancy, whereupon the Legislature shall choose a successor to serve for the duration of the unexpired term of office.|
The Treasurer is the principal custodian of the State's cash deposits, monies from bond sales, and other securities and collateral and directs the investments of those assets.
The Treasurer's duties include maintaining an ongoing relationship with the rating agencies, conducting outreach with State Agencies, keeping legislators informed of the operations of the State Treasurer's Office, and serving on numerous boards and commissions including the Board of Public Works, the State's highest administrative council.
The Treasurer's Office includes an Executive Office and seven Divisions:
- Banking Services
- Data Processing
- Debt Management
- Legal Office
The Office of the State Treasurer's budget for fiscal year 2014 was $131,969,276.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Maryland Treasurer has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Maryland + State + Treasurer
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Maryland Treasurer Opposes Governor's $100M Cut in Pension Funding - Budget & Tax News
- State Treasurer Kopp Opposes O'Malley's $100m Cut in Md. Pension Contribution - Southern Maryland Online
- QA-Hillsboro VFC hands out awards, installs new officers - My Eastern Shore
- Geisel to suspend dual degrees - Concord Monitor
- Md. lawmaker wants probe of exchange procurement - Greenwich Time
- ICBA Announces Nominees for 2014 Board - National Mortgage Professional Magazine
- Ex-Goldman Sachs MD joins FCA as banking adviser - Money Marketing
- Chamber of Commerce celebrates a successful year - Fairview Post
- George J. Voith, CSX executive - Baltimore Sun
- Wisconsin Assembly votes to abolish state treasurer - WAOW
Maryland State Treasurer's Office
Office of the State Treasurer
Treasury Bldg, Room 109
80 Calvert St.
Annapolis, MD 21401-1991
- Governor: Martin O'Malley (D)
- Lieutenant Governor: Anthony G. Brown (D)
- Attorney General: Douglas F. Gansler (D)
- Secretary of State: John P. McDonough (D)
- Secretary of Agriculture: Earl F. 'Buddy' Hance
- Treasurer of State: Nancy K. Kopp (D)
- Maryland Treasurer, "The Honorable Nancy Kopp," accessed May 21, 2012
- Maryland State Treasurer, About the Office
- http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/Chapters_noln/CH_423_hb0100e.pdf 2013 Laws of Maryland, "Chapter 423, Budget Bill (Fiscal Year 2014)," 31-33, accessed June 27, 2013]
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved June 21, 2011