Mason City School District elections (2013)
Method of election
What was at stake?
Mason City School District
Three seats were up for election on the Mason City Schools Board of Education. Randy Andrews won election, as well as incumbents Matt Steele and Connie Yingling, as they were the only candidates to file for the at-large seats.
About the district
- See also: Mason City School District, Ohio
Mason outperforms the rest of Ohio in terms of higher education attainment, median income and poverty rate. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 51.6% of Mason residents over 25 years old held undergraduate degrees compared to a 24.5% rate for the state of Ohio. Mason had a median income of $83,695 in 2010 compared to $48,071 for Ohio. The poverty rate for Mason was 4.6% in 2010 compared to a 14.8% rate for the rest of the state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
Method of board member selection
The Mason City Schools Board of Education consists of five members who are elected at-large to four-year terms. There was no primary election on September 10, 2013 and the general election was held on November 5, 2013. Three seats on the board were up for election in 2013 and two seats will be on the ballot on November 3, 2015.
Candidates for the Mason City Schools Board of Education must be 18 years old, a resident of the district and not hold city office concurrent to board service. The Warren County Board of Elections required a $30 filing fee as well as at least 75 signatures by the filing deadline on August 7, 2013.
- Randy Andrews
- Matt Steele
- Graduate, Xavier University and Ohio State University
- Connie Yingling
- Graduate, Miami University
- Loss prevention manager, Luxottica Retail
|Mason City School District, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Connie Yingling Incumbent||35%||2,452|
|Nonpartisan||Matt Steele Incumbent||31.7%||2,222|
|Source: Warren County Board of Elections, "Election Summary Report for General Election in Warren County, Ohio," accessed December 13, 2013|
|Mason City Schools Board of Education, At-large, November 8, 2011|
|Nonpartisan||Kevin Wise Incumbent||53.7%||7,488|
|Source: Warren County Board of Elections|
What was at stake?
Incumbents Matt Steele and Connie Yingling along with newcomer Randy Andrews ran for three available seats on the board unopposed. Former member Marianne Culbertson did not file for re-election in 2013.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Mason City Schools Board of Education elections in 2013:
|August 7, 2013||Last day to file nominating petitions for local nonpartisan races|
|October 24, 2013||Filing deadline for pre-election expense reports|
|November 5, 2013||Election day|
|November 26, 2013||Certification of election results by county officials|
|December 13, 2013||Filing deadline for post-election expense reports|
Additional elections on the ballot
The Mason City Schools Board of Education election shared the ballot with other local elections. Residents of Mason cast ballots for four seats on the Mason City Council as well as a municipal court seat.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Mason + City + Schools + Ohio"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Mason City School District, Ohio
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Warren County, Ohio ballot measures
- Financial policies, education standards at stake in November school board elections
- School board election wrap-up: Incumbents re-elected overwhelmingly in November 5 elections
- School board elections review: Voters opt for experience over new blood in nation's largest school districts
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Mason," accessed October 31, 2013
- Warren County Board of Elections, "Election Reports Archive," accessed October 31, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Mason City School District, "Board Policy Manual," accessed October 31, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "2013 Candidate Guide," accessed September 16, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Elections & Voting: Campaign Finance," accessed December 23, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "2013 Election Calendar," accessed October 31, 2013
- Warren County Board of Elections, "2013 Sample Ballot," accessed October 31, 2013