Massachusetts' 5th Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
September 9, 2014
Cook Political Report: Solid D
Sabato's Crystal Ball: Safe D
Massachusetts is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. Unaffiliated voters are allowed to vote in the primary election. They may choose which party ballot they wish to vote on and still remain unaffiliated.
Heading into the election the incumbent is Ed Markey (D), who was first elected in 1976. Prior to redistricting due to the 2010 census, he served as the representative of Massachusetts' seventh congressional district.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.General election candidates
- Katherine Clark - Incumbent
The 5th district of Massachusetts held an election for the U.S. House of Representatives on November 6, 2012. Incumbent Niki Tsongas (D) ran for the 3rd district seat due to redistricting in 2012. The 7th district incumbent Ed Markey won the 5th district seat. He defeated Tom Tierney (R) in the general election.
|U.S. House, Massachusetts District 5 General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Ed Markey Incumbent||70.7%||257,490|
|Source: Massachusetts Secretary of State "Return of Votes"|
|U.S. House of Representatives, Massachusetts Congressional District 5 Election, 2010|
|Democratic||Niki Tsongas Incumbent||56.5%||122,676|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Massachusetts, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Cook Political Report, "2014 HOUSE RACE RATINGS FOR June 26, 2014," accessed August 7, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 House Races," accessed August 7, 2014
- Fairvote, "FairVote Releases Projections for the 2014 Congressional Elections," accessed August 7, 2014
- Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Website, "Massachusetts Directory of Political Parties and Designations," accessed January 3, 2014
- Massachuestts Redistricting Map "Map" accessed August 31, 2012
- Sheldon Schwartz for Congress, "Home," accessed May 13, 2014
- Politico "2012 Election Map, Massachusetts"
- Eagle Tribune