Massachusetts' 6th Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
September 9, 2014
Cook Political Report: Toss Up
Sabato's Crystal Ball: Lean D
Massachusetts is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. Unaffiliated voters are allowed to vote in the primary election. They may choose which party ballot they wish to vote on and still remain unaffiliated.
Heading into the election the incumbent is John Tierney (D), who was first elected in 1996.
Massachusetts' 6th Congressional District is located in the northeastern portion of the state and includes Middlesex and Essex counties. Politico published a list in August 2013 of the five primaries to watch in 2014. Massachusetts' 6th Congressional District was included on the list. This proved true when Tierney lost his bid for re-election to Seth Moulton in the Democratic primary.
Vulnerable after the scandal surrounding his wife, Tierney barely managed to win re-election in 2012. In 2010, Patrice Tierney pleaded guilty to helping her brother file false tax returns in connection with his operation of an illegal offshore casino. Republicans criticized Tierney about his wife, alleging that he was fully aware of her conduct. He ultimately defeated Richard Tisei (R) by fewer than 4,000 votes — or 1 percent of the vote -- in the general election.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.General election candidates
The 6th district of Massachusetts held an election for the U.S. House of Representatives on November 6, 2012, in which incumbent John Tierney (D) won re-election. He defeated Richard Tisei (R) and Daniel Fishman (L).
|U.S. House, Massachusetts District 6 General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||John Tierney Incumbent||46.4%||180,942|
|Source: Massachusetts Secretary of State "Return of Votes"|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Massachusetts, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Cook Political Report, "2014 HOUSE RACE RATINGS FOR June 26, 2014," accessed August 7, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 House Races," accessed August 7, 2014
- Fairvote, "FairVote Releases Projections for the 2014 Congressional Elections," accessed August 7, 2014
- Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Website, "Massachusetts Directory of Political Parties and Designations," accessed January 3, 2014
- Massachuestts Redistricting Map "Map" accessed August 31, 2012
- Politico, "5 House primaries to watch," accessed August 8, 2013
- John Devine for Congress, "Home," accessed February 17, 2014
- Red Mass Group, "Marisa DeFranco to run for Congress in MA 6th District," accessed February 26, 2014
- Salem News, "Challengers eye Democratic nomination," accessed March 3, 2014 (dead link)
- Massachusetts Secretary of State Elections, "Democratic Primary Candidates," accessed June 5, 2014
- Tewksbury Advocate, "Tisei renews Congressional battle," accessed February 3, 2014
- Politico "2012 Election Map, Massachusetts"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"