Massachusetts' 6th Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
September 9, 2014
Massachusetts is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. Unaffiliated voters are allowed to vote in the primary election. They may choose which party ballot they wish to vote on and still remain unaffiliated.
Heading into the election the incumbent is John Tierney (D), who was first elected in 1996.
Massachusetts' 6th Congressional District is located in the northeastern portion of the state and includes Middlesex and Essex counties. Incumbent John Tierney (D) is a member of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's Frontline Program. The program was designed to help protect vulnerable Democratic incumbents heading into the 2014 election. The 2012 election race was a close race, with John Tierney securing victory with a 1.1% margin of victory. The district has been evaluated as leaning Democrat, with Cook Political Report giving it a Partisan Voter Index of D+7. One of the major factors that contributed to the closeness of the race was competitor Richard Tisei's ability to out raise and out spend Tierney. Tisei's efforts were bolstered by his own standing as a liberal and openly gay Republican, as well as the controversy surrounding Tierney's wife's legal problems. Tisei was also included in the National Republican Congressional Committee's Young Guns program. This program highlights challengers who represent the GOP's best chances to pick up congressional seats in the general election. However,Tierney has historically done well in his district, winning the previous election by a 13% margin of victory. Consequently, despite the strong hits he took as a result of his wife's troubles and being outspent by his opponent, Tierney was able to retain a sufficient portion of his base to win re-election.
Vulnerable after the scandal surrounding his wife, Tierney barely managed to win re-election in 2012. In 2010, Patrice Tierney pleaded guilty to helping her brother file false tax returns in connection with his operation of an illegal offshore casino. Republicans criticized Tiernery about his wife, alleging that he was fully aware of her conduct. he ultimately defeated Richard Tisei (D) by fewer than 4,000 votes — or 1 percent of the vote -- in the general election.
Tisei, a former state house minority leader, is running again in 2014. This time, Tierney has an added obstacle for re-election, a Democratic primary. Seth Moulton, a Harvard-educated former Marine, launched a campaign to unseat the congressman. He has recruited veteran Democratic strategist Joe Trippi to help with his campaign. Also running is Marisa DeFranco (D), an attorney who ran unsuccessfully for Senate in 2012.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
- John Tierney - Incumbent
- John Devine
- Marisa DeFranco
- Seth Moulton
- John Gutta
- Richard Tisei
The 6th district of Massachusetts held an election for the U.S. House of Representatives on November 6, 2012, in which incumbent John Tierney (D) won re-election. He defeated Richard Tisei (R) and Daniel Fishman (L).
|U.S. House, Massachusetts District 6 General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||John Tierney Incumbent||46.4%||180,942|
|Source: Massachusetts Secretary of State "Return of Votes"|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Massachusetts, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Website, "Massachusetts Directory of Political Parties and Designations," accessed January 3, 2014
- Massachuestts Redistricting Map "Map" accessed August 31, 2012
- Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, "DCCC Chairman Steve Israel Announces 2013-2014 Frontline Members," March 5, 2013
- Cook Political Report "Partisan Voting Index Districts of the 113th Congress: 2004 & 2008" accessed March 2013
- Open Secrets "2012 Race: Massachusetts District 06" accessed March 2013
- NYTimes "House race ratings" accessed March 2013
- Gloucester Times, "Tisei gets national Young Guns endorsement," accessed April 15, 2014
- NRCC "Young Guns 2012" March 2013
- Politico, "5 House primaries to watch," accessed August 8, 2013
- John Devine for Congress, "Home," accessed February 17, 2014
- Red Mass Group, "Marisa DeFranco to run for Congress in MA 6th District," accessed February 26, 2014
- Salem News, "Challengers eye Democratic nomination," accessed March 3, 2014
- Massachusetts Secretary of State Elections, "Democratic Primary Candidates," accessed June 5, 2014
- Tewksbury Advocate, "Tisei renews Congressional battle," accessed February 3, 2014
- Politico "2012 Election Map, Massachusetts"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"