Massachusetts 2012 ballot measures
Revision as of 12:44, 10 July 2012 by Alejandortiz
- 23 initiatives were approved for circulation by the Massachusetts Attorney General.
- Some measures were filed more than once.
- All measures were filed with the Massachusetts Attorney General.
- All measures are indirect initiated state statutes.
- Four measures' signatures were filed by the initial November 23 and December 7, 2011 deadlines, therefore only those four are still eligible to make the ballot.
- 2012 state legislative session began on January 4, 2012 and is scheduled to end on July 31, 2012. However, that is the end date of formal session. Informal session has no limit in length.
- The four initiatives were filed with the Massachusetts Legislature by Massachusetts Secretary of State William F. Galvin as signatures were verified before the start of the 2012 legislative session.
- If the general assembly does not choose to make a proposal a law, supporters must then gather additional signatures to obtain ballot access. Those signatures must be obtained from about 1/2 of 1% of voters who voted in the last governor election and supporters must submit them to local clerks.
- Validated signatures must then be turned in by the first Wednesday of July to the Massachusetts Secretary of State's office. Since the deadline fell on a national holiday, July 4, that deadline was July 3.
- Three initiative efforts turned in signatures that day.
On the ballot
The following measures will appear on the 2012 ballot:
|IndISS||Question 1||Business||Deals with vehicle owner and business protections in the state.|
|IndISS||Question 2||Assisted death||Would establish an "Act Relative to Death with Dignity."|
|IndISS||Question 3||Marijuana||Would allow for the use of medical marijuana in the state.|
Not on the ballot
The following are measures that did not make the ballot or were not approved for circulation.
|IndISS||Abuse Prevention Repeal||Admin. of gov't.||Would repeal a law passed in the state dealing with Abuse Prevention|
|IndISS||Voter Identification Initiative||Elections||Would require identification from residents before voting.|
|IndISS||Permits and Regional Planning Initiative||Housing||Amending a certain housing law in the state.|
|IndISS||Casino Gaming Initiative||Gambling||Create casino establishments in three locations in the state.|
|IndISS||Electricity Contracts Initiative||Business regulation||Relative to Electricity Contracts in the state.|
|IndISS||Public Duties Initiative||Government accountability||"An Initiative Petition for a Law Relative to M.G.L. 209A."|
|IndISS||Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Rating Initiative||Business regulation||Deals with insurance ratings in the state.|
|IndISS||Auto Sale Cancellation Initiative||Business regulation||Deals with the right for the cancellation of an auto sale in the state.|
|IndISS||Health Cost Referendum||Health care||Allow local governments to structure health care benefits.|
|IndISS||Charitable Solicitation Regulation Initiative (4)||Business regulation||Change the "do not call" list law to regulate certain charitable solicitations.|
|IndISS||Water Sewage Rates Initiative||Environment||Limit the amount by which water and sewer rates may be raised.|
|IndISS||9/11 Investigation Commission Initiative||Admin. of gov't.||Establish a law that would create a Citizens’ 9/11 Investigation Commission.|
|IndISS||Whale Fishing Act||Animal rights||Would create a "safe whale fishing" act.|
|IndISS||Recyclable Bottle Expansion||Environment||Expand the recyclable bottle law.|
|IndISS||Health Care Initiative||Health care||Would repeal a health care law.|
|IndISS||Food Store Wine Selling Initiative||Alcohol||Would allow for the sale of wine in food stores.|
|IndISS||Limited Beer and Wine Licenses Initiative||Alcohol||Would limit beer and wine licenses in the state.|
|IndISS||License and Registration Initiative||Admin. of gov't.||"An Initiative Petition for a Law Relative to M.G.L. 90, Section 22."|
|IndISS||Secret Recording Law Initiative||Law enforcement||Create exception to law banning secret recording of oral/wire communication.|
|IndISS||Public Schools Initiative||Education||Relating to public school improvements.|
Local ballot measures
- See also: Local ballot measure elections in 2012
No local measures have been identified for 2012. Read about local happenings here.
- 2012 ballot measures
- List of Massachusetts ballot measures
- Laws governing the initiative process in Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Legislature