Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Michigan House of Representatives District 76|
Mojzak found himself embroiled in controversy when a press release from Kent County Prosecuting Attorney William Forsyth revealed that Bolger and Schmidt were involved in a plan to tilt the election in Schmidt's favor. Schmidt had defected to the Republican Party just before the primary, and made an arrangement with Bolger to pay Mojzak to run as a Democrat in the election, but not actually conduct a real campaign. On this move, Forsyth claimed, "it is clear that the only logical reason for his [Mojzak's] recruitment was to prevent the Democratic Party from mounting a viable write-in candidacy."
According to a report from the Morning Sun, "Mojak initially was promised $450 and persuaded to change his address and voter registration to the 76th District. Mojak also signed an affidavit claiming he had been a Kent County resident for 22 years. He later withdrew from the race."
Forsyth deemed that no laws were broken, stating, "Although this scheme by Rep. Schmidt and Speaker Bolger was clearly designed to undermine the election and to perpetrate a ‘fraud’ on the electorate, it was nonetheless legal...While Mr. Mojak ill-advisedly agreed to participate in this misadventure, it is clear that he was duped into doing so and is the least culpable of anyone involved in this fiasco.”
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Matt + Mojzak + Michigan + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Michigan Department of State "2012 Unofficial Michigan Primary Candidate Listing," Accessed June 6, 2012
- Michigan Live "Prosecutor: Roy Schmidt tried to 'undermine' election, did not commit crime," Accessed July 20, 2012
- The Morning Sun "Dems call for Bolger to step down as Michigan House speaker," Accessed July 23, 2012
- [http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/07/18/1111354/-Jaw-dropping-election-fraud-by-Michigan-GOP-House-Speaker-Jase-Bolger?detail=hide Daily Kos "Jaw-dropping election fraud by Michigan GOP House Speaker Jase Bolger," Accessed July 20, 2012
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |