|Iowa Secretary of State|
|2010 - Present|
|Years in position||4|
|Predecessor||Michael Mauro (D)|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Associate's||Brigham Young University|
|Bachelor's||University of Iowa|
|J.D.||Creighton University School of Law|
|Birthday||July 23, 1979|
Shortly after receiving his law degree, Schultz worked as an associate attorney, first for Katskee, Henatsch & Suing and then later for Smith Peteron Law Firm LLP. In December 2007, he joined the Council Bluffs-based private practice law firm of Schultz & Watson, LLP where he operates as both an attorney and a partner.
- Associates Degree, Brigham Young University-Idaho (2001) in behavioral sciences
- Bachelor's degree, University of Iowa (2003) in political science (with honors)
- Juris Doctorate degree, Creighton University School of Law (2006)
Iowa Secretary of State (2010-Present)
Schultz has served as the Iowa Secretary of State since winning election in 2010.
Schultz has stated that if elected as Iowa Secretary of State he would "incorporate the Federal E-Verify system, operated by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security in partnership with the Social Security Administration," into the office's website.  E-Verify is an Internet-based system that allows an employer to determine whether or not an individual is eligible to work in the country. Schultz argued that promotion of this policy would allow for "not only leveling the playing field for Unions, but making more jobs available to all Iowans.” 
In July 2012, Schultz approved emergency voter rules without public input, saying they were necessary to ensure noncitizens couldn't vote in the November elections. Opponents, however, were concerned that the new rules would intimidate certain groups of voters, including Hispanics, and keep them from registering to vote.
Under the new rules, Schultz would be able to remove voters from the state's registration database by comparing it with a state Department of Transportation list and a federal immigration list. Any voters found to be listed as noncitizens would be notified of their pending removal and given a chance to prove their citizenship. Additionally, the rules would allow allegations of voter fraud to be reported anonymously. Previously such reports required a sworn statement, with prosecution possible if fraud was falsely alleged.
- See also: Iowa Secretary of State election, 2010
|2010 Race for Secretary of State - Republican Primary |
|Republican Party||Matt Schultz||46.9%|
|Democratic Party||George Eichhorn||26.8%|
|Libertarian Party||Chris Sanger||26.0%|
|2010 Race for Secretary of State - General Election |
|Republican Party||Matt Schultz||49.8%|
|Democratic Party||Michael Mauro||47.0%|
|Libertarian Party||Jake Porter||3.1%|
Ballotpedia collects information on campaign donors for each year in which a candidate or incumbent is running for election. The following table offers a breakdown of Matt Schultz's donors each year. Click [show] for more information.
|Matt Schultz's Campaign Contributions|
Iowa Secretary of State
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$233,183|
|Top 5 contributors||Iowa Keystone PAC||$12,500|
|Donald & Barbara Coats||$5,500|
|Frank Brownell III||$5,000|
Schultz currently resides in Iowa with his wife, Zola, and their three children - Levi, Hyrum, and Kendra.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Matt + Schultz + Iowa + Secretary"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Contact InformationCapitol Address:
Office of Secretary of State
1007 East Grand Avenue
Room 105, State Capitol
Des Moines, IA 50319
Phone: (515) 281-8993
Fax: (515) 242-5952
- Official Iowa Secretary of State website
- Matt Schultz for Iowa Secretary of State Campaign website
- Matt Schultz's Facebook profile
- Matt Schultz's Twitter account
- Project Vote Smart - Matt Schultz biography
- Omaha World-Herald "Matt Shultz wins Sec. of State office" 3 Nov. 2010
- The Iowa Republican "Eichhorn, Schultz & Immigration" 17 May, 2010
- Matt Schultz for Iowa Secretary of State "Promote Fairness Through E-Verify, Not Union Pandering" 3 Feb. 2010
- SF Gate, "Schultz defends emergency voter rules to lawmakers," September 11, 2012
- KCRG, "Legislative Committee to Meet on New Voter Rules," September 10, 2012
- US Election News, "Santorum Picks Up Big Iowa Endorsement," December 9, 2011
- Washington Post "Matt Schultz won't run for Senate in Iowa" Accessed May 31, 2013
- Iowa Secretary of State - 2010 Primary Election Results
- Iowa Secretary of State - 2010 General Election Results
- Follow the Money.org
Michael Mauro (D)
|Iowa Secretary of State
| Succeeded by|