|Virginia House of Delegates District 80|
|January 13, 2010 - Present|
|January 13, 2016|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|First elected||November 3, 2009|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|Master's||J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management at Northwestern University|
|Profession||President and CEO, Peninsula Council for Workforce Development|
James earned his B.A. in economics and mathematics from Hampton University and his M.B.A. from J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management at Northwestern University. He worked as the president and chief executive officer of Peninsula Council for Workforce Development and director of economic development for the City of Portsmouth.
In the 2012-2013 session, James served on the following committees:
In the 2010-2011 session, James served on the following committees:
- Agriculture, Chesapeake and Natural Resources Committee
- Agriculture Subcommittee
- General Laws
- FOIA/Procurement Subcommittee
- Militia, Police and Public Safety
James won re-election in the 2013 election for Virginia House of Delegates District 80. James ran unopposed in the June 11 Democratic Primary. He was unopposed in the general election which took place on November 5, 2013.
In 2009, James was elected to the Virginia House of Delegates.
|Virginia House of Delegates General Election, District 80 (2009)|
|Matthew James (D)||9,818|
|Jennifer Lee (R)||4,486|
In 2011, James received $45,664 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Virginia House of Delegates 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Matthew James's campaign in 2011|
|Virginia Democratic Party||$4,855|
|Virginia Beer Wholesalers Association||$2,000|
|Virginia Hospital & Healthcare Association||$1,500|
|Total Raised in 2011||$45,664|
Listed below are the top five donors to James' 2009 campaign:
|Virginia Dental Association||$3,000|
|Virginia Automobile and Truck Dealers Association||$2,000|
|Virginia Wine Wholesalers Association||$2,000|
|Virginia Beverage Association||$1,010|
James and his wife, Karen, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Matthew + James + Virginia + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Virginia House of Delegates biography
- Imagine Election profile
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- VA Public Access Project profile
- Campaign contributions: 2009
- Virginia Board of Elections, “Official Results - 2013 General Election," accessed December 2, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections - November 2011 General Election Official Results
- Virginia House of Delegates 2009 General Election Results
- Follow the Money - 2011 contributions
- Follow the Money - 2009 Campaign Contributions
|Virginia House of Delegates District 80
| Succeeded by|
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |