|Michigan House of Representatives District 4|
|January 1. 2011-Present|
|January 1, 2013|
|Years in position||4|
|Per diem||$10,800 yearly expense allowance|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
|Term limits||3 terms|
|Bachelor's||Howard University (1987)|
|Place of birth||Detroit, Michigan|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Elections
- 3 Political campaign history
- 4 Campaign donors
- 5 Campaign contributions
- 6 Recent news
- 7 Scorecards
- 8 Committee assignments
- 9 External links
- 10 References
Stapleton was raised, in Detroit's northwest side by her parents James Stapleton, a Detroit Police Officer, and Ella Mae Stapleton, a Detroit Schools administrator. From an early age, her parents' influence drove her to be active in the community and develop a work ethic geared toward public service.
Stapleton graduated from Howard University in Washington D.C. in 1987 with a degree in Psychology. During her undergraduate years, she had her first political job working as an intern with U.S. Congressman John Conyers, D-Detroit, where she helped draft House bills and resolutions.
Stapleton is a public school teacher. She also owns her own consulting business that she started in 2003.
convert: no images defined `/tmp/transform_193f52ffbc3a-1.jpg' @ error/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/3044.
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 6 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Rashida Tlaib Incumbent||51.6%||5,339|
|Maureen Stapleton Incumbent||45%||4,656|
Stapleton won election to the District 4 Seat in 2010. She defeated Marcelus Brice, Willie Burton, Wanda Canty, James Cole Jr., Eddie Edwards, Michael Hartt, Frazier Kimpson, Chester Logan, Gwendolyn Mingo, Mary Sheffield and Edgar Vann in the August 3 Democratic primary. She faced Lillian Smith (R) in the general election on November 2, 2010.
Political campaign history
Stapleton has previously interned for Rep. John Conyers (D-Detroit). She also served on a Detroit committee, chosen in 1994 by Mayor Dennis Archer to serve with the City of Detroit’s Youth Department. Since 2003, she has worked at Wayne State University.
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 4 General election (2010)|
|Maureen Stapleton (D)||15,561|
|Lillian Smith (R)||547|
|Danetta Simpson (I)||291|
More voting record details
- List of all of Maureen Stapleton’s roll call votes, bills introduced, and floor amendments from MichiganVotes.org (use site’s “advanced search” to narrow by date range, issue category and/or keyword).
In 2010, Stapleton raised $62,848 in contributions. 
Her five largest contributors were:
|Stapleton, Maureen L||$4,155|
|Stapleton, Maureen L||$2,000|
|Declare Michigan Pac||$2,000|
Contributions Report from Michigan Secretary of State
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Maureen + Stapleton + Michigan + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
Tea Party Scorecard
The Independent Tea Party Patriots, a Michigan Tea Party group, grades the votes of this and every other Michigan legislator on “core tea party issues” in a regularly-updated scorecard. 100% is considered an ideal rating.
January 2011 - March 2012
Maureen Stapleton received a 15% rating on the January 2011 - March 2012 Tea Party Scorecard.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Stapleton has been appointed to these committees:
- Families and Children's Services
- Intergovernmental and Regional Affairs
- Natural Resources, Tourism, and Outdoor Recreation
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Stapleton served on these committees:
- Judiciary and Corrections
- Natural Resources
- Higher Education
Rep. Maureen Stapleton
S 0588 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Phone: (517) 373-1008
- Official Biography
- Voting Record on MichiganVotes.org
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Official Campaign Website
- Stapleton on Facebook
- https://twitter.com/#!/repmoestape Follow Stapleton on Twitter]
- Maureen Stapleton Official Campaign Website, "Bio," accessed August 6, 2012
- Michigan Department of State "2012 Unofficial Michigan Primary Candidate Listing," Accessed June 7, 2012
- Associated Press "Michigan - Summary Vote Results," Accessed August 7, 2012
- 2010 contributions
- Michigan Votes, "Tea Party Scorecard Jan 2011-Mar 2012," accessed June 22, 2012
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
Michigan Supreme Court | Supreme Court Elections | Court of Appeals | First Circuit Court of Appeals | Second Circuit Court of Appeals | Third Circuit Court of Appeals | Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals | List of Michigan Circuit Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |