Mecklenburg Public Schools, Virginia
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia school district websites
- The Mecklenburg County Public Schools proposed 2010-2011 budget is available, including federal, state, and local revenue.
- School board meeting schedule, minutes, and agendas for upcoming meetings are available.
- Administrative and school board contact information is available.
- Links are provided to Standards of Learning and educational resources information on the Virginia Department of Education website.
- Section K: School-Community Relations of the Mecklenburg County School Board Policy Manual includes Request for Information procedures in compliance with Virginia’s Freedom of Information Act. Section D: Fiscal Management includes information regarding audit requirements and Section G: Personnel includes hiring and evaluation procedures.
- Vendor contract information is available on the Virginia state website.
- Division academic performance information is not available. The information can be found on the Virginia Department of Education School Report Cards website.
- The website does not include the results of audits.
- The website does not include the results of background checks.
- Teacher contracts are not available on the school website. Teacher salary data is available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
Current School Board Members
|Robert Puryear, Chairman||District 1|
|Thomas Bullock, Vice-Chairman||District 5|
|Carol Bowman||District 7|
|Thomas Coleman||District 2|
|Glenn Edwards||District 9|
|Mary Hicks||District 4|
|Debra Smiley||District 6|
|Sandra Tanner||District 3|
|Joan Wagstaff||District 8|
The current division superintendent is James Thornton.
The Virginia Public School System is supervised by a Board of Education, comprised of nine members appointed by the Governor and approved by the Virginia General Assembly. Members serve staggered four-year terms.
The Board of Education is responsible for dividing the Commonwealth of Virginia into school divisions and reviewing existing divisions to ensure standards of quality are being met. The Board makes annual reports to the General Assembly regarding public education in the Commonwealth and is further charged with certifying to the school board of each division a list of persons for the office of division superintendent of schools, one of whom the school board ultimately selects to fill the position. The Board also approves all educational materials used in the public schools. Supervision of school divisions is conducted by individual school boards.
Current Board of Education Members
|Eleanor B. Saslaw, President||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|Dr. Ella P. Ward, Vice President||2nd||January 29, 2011|
|Elizabeth D. Beamer||1st||January 29, 2014|
|Dr. Billy K. Cannaday, Jr.||1st||June 30, 2011|
|Isis M. Castro||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|David M. Foster||1st||January 29, 2014|
|David L. Johnson||2nd||June 30, 2011|
|K. Rob Krupicka||1st||January 29, 2013|
|Dr. Virginia L. McLaughlin||1st||January 29, 2013|
The Mecklenburg County Public Schools proposed 2010-2011 budget totals $43,514,250.00, a decrease from the previous year’s budget of $49,047,155.59. The budget includes $11,360,000.00 in local and miscellaneous revenue, $3,896,774.00 in federal revenue, and $25,896,776.00 in state revenue.
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Mecklenburg County Public Schools as having a student population of 4,821 and 9 schools in the division.
Mecklenburg County Public School Division made AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Bluestone High||9 - 12||667||Yes|
|Bluestone Middle||6 - 8||513||Yes|
|Buckhorn Elementary||Pre-K - 5||270||Yes|
|Chase City Elementary||Pre-K - 5||505||Yes|
|Clarksville Elementary||Pre-K - 5||474||Yes|
|LaCrosse Elementary||Pre-K - 5||341||Yes|
|Park View High||9 - 12||767||Yes|
|Park View Middle||6 - 8||585||Yes|
|South Hill Elementary||Pre-K - 5||699||Yes|
- Mecklenburg County Public Schools Official Website
- Virginia Department of Education Official Website
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virgina
- Virginia Education Association Official Website
- ‘Mecklenburg County Public Schools’, MCPS Proposed 2010-2011 Budget, July 3, 2010
- ‘Mecklenburg County Public Schools’, School Board Information, July 3, 2010
- ‘Mecklenburg County Public Schools’, School Board Meeting Agenda, July 3, 2010
- ‘Mecklenburg County Public Schools’, Faculty and Staff Directory, July 3, 2010
- ‘Mecklenburg County Public Schools’, School Board Members, July 3, 2010
- ‘Mecklenburg County Public Schools’, MCPS Useful Links, July 3, 2010
- ‘Mecklenburg County Public Schools’, MCPS Policy Manual, July 3, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Virginia State Contracts, June 10, 2010
- ‘Virginia Department of Education’, School, School Division, and State Report Cards, June 27, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010
- 'Legislative Information System', Constitution of Virginia, June 10, 2010
- 'State Board of Education', Board Members, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010
- ‘Virginia Department of Education’, Mecklenburg County Public Schools, July 3, 2010
- 'Virginia Education Association', June 10, 2010
- 'National Education Association', June 10, 2010