|Illinois State Senate District 31|
|2013 - Present|
|January 11, 2017|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Lake County Board Member|
|President, Grayslake School District|
|Place of birth||Halfday, Illinois|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Bush served on the following committees:
|Illinois Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Appropriations II|
|• Committee of the Whole|
|• Higher Education|
|• State Government & Veterans Affairs|
Bush's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Excerpt: "Springfield needs proven leaders we can trust to fund programs that help Lake County and cut programs that do not work. Leaders we can trust to pay our bills on time, and end the culture of procrastination we have created by borrowing money from the pension fund and spending it."
- Jobs and the Economy
- Excerpt: "Melinda comes from a background of modest means, and at a young age learned the importance of having a good job with a competitive wage. As a small-business owner, she also learned the challenges of providing those jobs."
- Ethics Reform
- Excerpt: "Faced with cronyism and corruption at the Lake County and Forest Preserve Boards, Melinda was the first commissioner to stand up and cry foul. ...Melinda will take that same sense of right and wrong with her to Springfield, where she will work to end pension double- and triple-dipping, pay-for-play politics and political cronyism."
- Excerpt: ."..Melinda knows first-hand how important exceptional teachers and an animated school environment are to a child’s education. She believes that we need to invest in the development of quality educators and school systems that are accountable to the needs of teachers, students and parents. Whether in the public or private school systems, students deserve an opportunity to succeed."
- The Environment
- Excerpt: "Melinda has always believed that the environment and the economy are not mutually exclusive. She believes it is necessary to invest in green jobs and bring new technologies to Lake County."
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Bush won election in the 2012 election for Illinois State Senate District 31. Bush was unopposed in the Democratic primary on March 20, 2012 and defeated Republican Joe Neal in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Illinois State Senate, District 31, General Election, 2012|
Bush's website listed the following endorsements:
- The Daily Herald
- Lieutenant Governor Sheila Simon
- Senate President John J. Cullerton
- Senate Majority Whip Terry Link
- Senator Susan Garrett
Comprehensive donor information for Bush is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Bush raised a total of $843,428 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 17, 2013.
|Melinda Bush's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Illinois State Senate, District 31||$843,428|
|Grand Total Raised||$843,428|
2012Bush won election to the Illinois State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Bush raised a total of $843,428.
|Illinois State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Melinda Bush's campaign in 2012|
|Illinois Senate Democratic Fund||$337,608|
|Illinois Democratic Party||$170,225|
|AFSCME Illinois Council 31||$44,000|
|Lake County Federation of Teachers Local 504||$35,859|
|Total Raised in 2012||$843,428|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Bush and her husband, Andy, have one child.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term " Melinda + Bush + Illinois + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Illinois State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Illinois State Legislature
- Illinois state legislative districts
- Biography, bills and committees at the 98th Illinois General Assembly
- Profile at Illinois Senate Democrats
- Campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Social media:
- Summary, biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Profile at Wikipedia
- Campaign contributions: 2012
- Melinda for Senate, "About," accessed January 4, 2012
- Melinda Bush, "Issues," accessed October 20, 2012
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Candidate List," accessed December 5, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results," accessed May 14, 2014
- Illinois State Board of Elections, “Official Vote - November 6, 2012 General Election,” accessed December 31, 2012
- Melinda Bush, "Endorsements," accessed October 20, 2012
- followthemoney.org, "Bush, Melinda (Willen)," accessed July 17, 2013
Suzi Schmidt (R)
|Illinois Senate District 31
| Succeeded by|