Michael Baumgartner (Washington)
|Washington State Senate District 6|
|January 12, 2015|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Washington State University, 1999|
|Place of birth||Pullman, WA|
He was formerly an Economic Affairs Officer with the U.S. State Department in Iraq and is currently a part-time economic advisor to the United States military.
Baumgartner holds a BA in economics from Washington State University and an MPA in international development from Harvard University.
Baumgartner said he was a "pragmatic conservative."
According to his website, Baumgartner's campaign platform included the following issues:
- Developing diverse domestic energy sources
- Balancing the budget
- Creating jobs through decreasing hindrances to businesses
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Baumgartner has been appointed to the following committees:
- Economic Development, Trade & Innovation Committee, Ranking Minority Member
- Higher Education & Workforce Development
- Ways and Means
Baumgartner ran for U.S. Senate in 2012 as a Republican. He faced incumbent Maria Cantwell (D), Timmy Wilson (D), Chuck Jackson (R), Art Coday (R), Mike the Mover (R), Glen Stockwell (R), and Will Baker (I) in the August 7 primary. The top two vote-getters were Cantwell and Baumgartner, who advanced to the general election ballot. He and Maria Cantwell advanced past the blanket primary to the general election on November 6, 2012. Cantwell defeated Baumgartner in the general election.
Baumgartner considered his an "underdog campaign." He said Cantwell "bought her way into office 12 years ago.... At the end of the day campaigns aren't about dollars, they're about who has better solutions."
- See also: Washington State Senate elections, 2010
Michael Baumgartner defeated incumbent Chris Marr (D) in the November 2, 2010 general election for the Washington State Senate District 6. He ran unopposed in the Republican primary on August 17, 2010. 
|Washington State Senate, District 6 General Election (2010)|
|Michael Baumgartner (R)||33,929||53.71%|
|Chris Marr (D)||29,237||46.29%|
|Washington State Senate, District 6 Primary (2010)|
|Michael Baumgartner (R)||21,263||53.30%|
|Chris Marr (D)||18,630||46.70%|
Baumgartner's website lists the following issues:
- Reduce Wasteful Government Spending
- Excerpt: "I believe my background in economics will help, but more important is to have common sense and courage to stand up to the special interests and insist that wasteful spending end."
- Stop Tax and Fee Increases
- Excerpt: "We don’t need more taxes; we need to reduce spending."
- Support Good Jobs
- Excerpt: "If elected, one of my first actions would be to work across partisan lines, bringing together major employers like Avista with political leaders like the mayor and county commissioners to work together for sustainable job growth."
- Improve Schools
- Excerpt: "We must do more to improve public schools and ensure that students receive an education that will prepare them for happy, productive lives in a competitive 21st Century. The Legislature’s recent cuts to public schools and universities are endangering our state’s future."
|Michael Baumgartner Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|April Quarterly||March 31, 2012||$99,607.35||$190,394.96||$(145,657.76)||$144,344.55|
|July Quarterly||June 30, 2012||$59,053.34||$345,577.50||$(234,411.59)||$170,219.25|
In 2010, the year Baumgartner first won election to the Senate, he collected $362,366 in donations.
His four largest contributors in 2010 were:
|Senate Republican Campaign Committee of Washington||$66,322|
|Washington State Republican Party||$58,415|
|6th District Legislative Committee||$33,500|
Baumgartner has a partner, Elenor.
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Baumgartner's campaign website
- Michael Maungartner on the Washington State Senate website
- Michael Baumgartner on the Senate Republican Caucus website
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Baumgartner on Facebook
- CNN "Washignton Senate Race - 2012 Election Center"
- The Republic "Republican US Senate challenger Michael Baumgartner is a man in a hurry," July 14, 2012
- Michael Baumgartner campaign website "Issues," Accessed July 31, 2012
- Washington Secretary of State "Candidate Filings," Accessed May 18, 2012
- Washington Secretary of State "Top 2 Primary: FAQ," Accessed May 17, 2012
- AP Primary Results
- Seattle Times "Senate race Cantwell's to lose — unless Obama support craters," July 10, 2012
- Washington Legislature Official primary results SOS
- Washington Legislature Official General Election Results
- Michael Baumgartner's campaign website, Home
- Federal Election Commission "Michael Baumgartner's Summary Report," Accessed October 12, 2012
- Federal Election Commission "April Quarterly" Accessed October 12, 2012
- Federal Election Commission "July Quarterly" Accessed October 12, 2012
- Follow the Money.org, Michael Baumgartner candidate summary, Retrieved June 9, 2011
|Washington Senate District 6
| Succeeded by|