|Michael S. Bennett|
|Florida State Senate District 21|
|November 16, 2012|
|Predecessor||Ken Salazar (D)|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2002|
|Term limits||2 terms (8 years)|
|Florida House of Representatives|
|Bachelor's||Drake University (1975)|
|Master's||Drake University (1976)|
|Years of service||1963-1967|
|Date of birth||January 1, 1945|
Bennett served in the Florida State House of Representatives from 2000 to 2002. He then joined the Florida State Senate in 2002. He has served in that position since, representing the 21st district.
Bennett has worked for Sunbelt Audio. He has also worked as National Sales Manager for Fawn Engineering. He served in the United States Navy in Vietnam from 1963 to 1967. He has been President of Aladdin Wand Electric since 1985.
Bennett earned his BA from Drake University in 1975. He went on to receive his MBA from Drake University in 1976.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Bennett was appointed to these committees:
- Community Affairs Chair
- Banking and Insurance
- Budget Subcommittee on Criminal and Civil Justice Appropriations
- Budget Subcommittee on Transportation, Tourism, and Economic Development Appropriations
- Health Regulation
- Military Affairs, Space, and Domestic Security
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Bennett served on these committees:
- Banking and Insurance Committee, Florida State Senate
- Community Affairs Committee, Florida State Senate
- Finance and Tax Committee, Florida State Senate
- Health Regulation Committee, Florida State Senate
- Military Affairs and Domestic Security Committee, Florida State Senate
- Reapportionment Committee, Florida State Senate
Congressional Staff Salaries
According to research compiled by the website Legistorm, in Fiscal Year 2011, Bennett's congressional staff was paid a total sum of $2,633,822, which is below the national average of $2,740,129.76 for Democratic Senators.
Bennett is ineligible to run for re-election to the Florida State Senate in 2012 because of term limits. He is instead seeking election to the U.S. House representing the 11th Congressional District from Florida.
Bennett failed to appear on the official candidate list.
Bennett raised $0 in campaign contributions in 2010, a year in which he was not up for election.
In 2008, Bennett collected $288,362 in campaign contributions. The five largest contributors to his campaign were as follows:
|Florida Home Builders Association||$2,000|
|Florida Police Benevolent Association||$2,000|
|Florida Cable Telecommunications Association||$1,500|
|Florida Hospital Association||$1,500|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Michael + Bennett + Florida + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Bennett has a wife, Diane.
- Official Florida State Senate website of Senator Michael Bennett
- Project Vote Smart Michael Bennett candidate summary
- Project Vote Smart Michael Bennett biography
- Campaign contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000
|Florida Senate, District 21
| Succeeded by|
Denise Grimsley (R)