|Iowa State Senate District 50|
|January 10, 2013|
|Years in position||30|
|Majority Leader, Iowa State Senate,|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2008|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
|Date of birth||January 29, 1950|
|Place of birth||Council Bluffs, IA|
Gronstal was first elected to the Iowa Senate in 1984. He previously served on the Iowa House of Representatives. He also chaired the Pottawattamie County Democratic Party from 1986-1988, and serves on the Iowa Democratic Party State Central Committee.
Gronstal attended Loyola University. He went on to receive his BA from Antioch College.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Gronstal has been appointed to this committee:
- Rules and Administration Chair
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Gronstal served on these committees:
- Labor and Business Relations Committee, Iowa State Senate
- Rules and Administration Committee, Iowa State Senate
- See also: Iowa State Senate elections, 2012
Gronstal is running for re-election to the Iowa State Senate in 2012. Due to redistricting, he is running in district 8. Gronstal ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on June 5, 2012. Al Ringgenberg is running unopposed in the Republican primary. The general election takes place on November 6, 2012.
On November 4, 2008, Gronstal was re-elected to the 50th District Seat in the Iowa State Senate, defeating Mark A. Brandenburg (R).  Gronstal raised $690,121 for his campaign, while Brandenburg raised $12,224. 
|Iowa State Senate, District 50 (2008)|
|Michael Gronstal (D)||13,375|
|Mark A. Brandenburg (R)||9,740|
In 2008 Gronstal collected $690,121 in donations.
His four largest contributors were:
|Iowa State Education Association||$151,250|
|Service Employees International Union||$25,000|
|Iowa Democratic Party||$21,881|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Michael + Gronstal + Iowa + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
Gronstal and his wife, Connie Meisenbach, have two children.
- Sen. Gronstal's Personal Website
- Sen. Gronstal's Senate Website
- Official Iowa State Senate website of Michael Gronstal
- Project Vote Smart Biography
- Project Vote Smart Legislative Profile
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2000, 1998
- Michael Gronstal on Facebook
|Iowa Senate District 50
| Succeeded by|
State of Iowa
Des Moines (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Director of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chair of Utilities |