|Iowa State Senate District 50|
| Assumed office|
| Current term ends|
Gronstal was first elected to the Iowa Senate in 1984. He previously served on the Iowa House of Representatives. He also chaired the Pottawattamie County Democratic Party from 1986-1988, and serves on the Iowa Democratic Party State Central Committee.
Gronstal attended Loyola University. He went on to receive his BA from Antioch College.
- Labor and Business Relations Committee, Iowa State Senate
- Rules and Administration Committee, Iowa State Senate
On November 4, 2008, Gronstal was re-elected to the 50th District Seat in the Iowa State Senate, defeating Mark A. Brandenburg (R).  Gronstal raised $690,121 for his campaign, while Brandenburg raised $12,224. 
|Iowa State Senate, District 50 (2008)|
|Michael Gronstal (D)||13,375|
|Mark A. Brandenburg (R)||9,740|
In 2008 Gronstal collected $690,121 in donations.
His four largest contributors were:
|Iowa State Education Association||$151,250|
|Service Employees International Union||$25,000|
|Iowa Democratic Party||$21,881|
Gronstal and his wife, Connie Meisenbach, have two children.
- Sen. Gronstal's Personal Website
- Sen. Gronstal's Senate Website
- Official Iowa State Senate website of Michael Gronstal
- Project Vote Smart Biography
- Project Vote Smart Legislative Profile
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2000, 1998
- Michael Gronstal on Facebook
- 2008 Iowa Election Results
- Money Raised by Iowa Candidates, 2008
- 2008 Contributions to Michael Gronstal
|Iowa Senate District 50
| Succeeded by|