|Illinois State Senate District 19|
|2013 - Present|
|January 11, 2017|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|High school||Victor J. Andrew High School (1998)|
|Bachelor's||United States Military Academy (2003)|
|Master's||University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2011)|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
Hastings serves as Vice-President of the Consolidated High School District #230 school board. He has worked for Johnson & Johnson’s BioSurgery Division and served as a Captain in the United States Army. He is a graduate of the United States Military Academy and earned a Masters degree in Business Administration from the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Hastings served on the following committees:
|Illinois Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Appropriations II|
|• Committee of the Whole|
|• Financial Institutions|
On his 2012 campaign website, Hastings lists six main issues of the campaign:
- Getting Illinois Financial House in Order: "Tax and spend is not the answer. Fiscal responsibility is -- I will bring this back to Illinois."
- Pension Reform: "Bottom line – Pensions should not be an 'entitlement' or a 'government handout.' The current pension system needs to be overhauled. The numbers do not lie, if we do nothing to provide solutions to these complex problems -- Illinois will be crippled by the growing size of our debt."
- Bringing Business Back to Illinois: "For a state with great cities like Tinley Park, Matteson, or Mokena there should be no reason why we are not the epicenter for job creation. The problem: ILLINOIS IS BECOMING AN UNFRIENDLY BUSINESS STATE!"
- Illinois Veterans: "Illinois does a great job at providing benefits and services for veterans. We can still push forward and do better."
- Get Illinois Back to Work
- Education for Illinois
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Hastings won election in the 2012 election for Illinois State Senate District 19. Hastings defeated Gregory Hannon in the Democratic primary on March 20, 2012 and defeated Edgar Montalvo (R) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Illinois State Senate, District 19, General Election, 2012|
|Illinois State Senate, District 19 Democratic Primary, 2012|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
- Hastings 2012, "About," accessed January 3, 2012
- Hastings 2012, "Issues - Illinois budget crisis," accessed January 3, 2012
- Hastings 2012, "Issues - pension reform," accessed January 3, 2012
- Hastings 2012, "Issues - Bringing business back Illinois," accessed January 3, 2012
- Hastings 2012, "Issues - Illinois Veterans," accessed January 3, 2012
- Illinois State Board of Elections "Candidate List," December 5, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results"
- Illinois State Board of Elections, “Official Vote - November 6, 2012 General Election,” accessed December 31, 2012
Maggie Crotty (D)
|Illinois Senate District 19
| Succeeded by|