Michael Johnston (Colorado)
|Colorado State Senate District 33|
| Assumed office|
| Current term ends|
January 12, 2015
Johnston is a School Principal.
40 under 40
Johnston has been highlighted by Time Magazine as one of the 40 leaders under 40 who are "rising stars of American politics.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Johnston has been appointed to these committees:
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Johnston served on these committees:
- Business, Labor and Technology Committee, Colorado Senate
- Education Committee, Colorado Senate
- Finance Committee, Colorado Senate
Johnston's sponsored legislation includes:
- SB 10-191 - Quality Instruction Through Educator Effectiveness 
Energy home loans
Johnston sponsored a bill, Senate Bill 32, in the 2011 session that creates a loan program for homeowners who want to install energy-efficient improvements. The loans would be facilitated by public utilities like Xcel Energy and banks for installation of energy-efficient windows, doors and insulation. The bill passed on a party-line vote in early May 2011. Consumers would also get eased borrowing criteria that would extend credit to those who may not otherwise qualify.
The Senate Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Energy Committee approved it, sending it to the Senate Appropriations Committee before it can be heard by the full Senate.
- See also: Colorado State Senate elections, 2010
Johnston sought re-election to the 33rd District seat in 2010. He faced no opposition in the primary election. He defeated Lisa Ringle (R) in the November 2 general election.
|Colorado State Senate, District 33 General election (2010)|
|Michael Johnston (D)||33,634|
|Lisa Ringle (R)||7,276|
Johnston was appointed to the 31st district seat in the Colorado State Senate.
- Mike Johnston's personal website
- Official Colorado State Senate website of Senator Michael Johnston
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Project Vote Smart biography of Senator Michael Johnston
- Michael Johnston on Facebook
|Colorado State Senate - District 33
| Succeeded by|