Michael K. Smith
|Michael K. Smith|
|Illinois House of Representatives District 91|
| Term in office began|
| Term in office ended|
Prior to his election to the House, Smith was a Citizens Advocate with the Illinois Attorney General's Office from 1992-1994, and a Legislative Assistant in the Illinois House of Representatives from 1986-1992.
Smith is past President of Saint Mary's Parish Council, Canton Area Chamber of Commerce, American Heart Association County Division, and the Fulton County American Heart Association.
- Appropriations-Elementary & Secondary Education
- Computer Technology
- Elementary & Secondary Education (Chair)
- Environment & Energy
- Financial Institutions
- Fire Protection
- Homeland Security & Emergency Preparedness
- Subcommittee on Appropriations for Elementary and Secondary Education (Chair)
Smith lost his bid for re-election to the 91st District seat against Republican Michael D. Unes. He ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on February 2nd. The general election took place on November 2, 2010.
Smith has raised $670,000 from July to October of 2010 in his effort to win re-election. Elections experts have viewed the seat as a hotly contested seat for the 2010 general election.
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 91 (2008)|
|Michael K. Smith (D)||37,277|
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 91 (2006)|
|Michael Smith (D)||19,676|
|Daryl Dagit (R)||12,498|
In 2008, Smith collected $199,542 in donations.
Listed below are the five largest contributors to his campaign.
|Operating Engineers Local 649||$22,500|
|Illinois Education Association||$20,000|
|Friends of Michael J. Madigan||$10,858|
|Associated Beer Distributors of Illinois||$5,500|
|Illinois Trial Lawyers Association||$5,250|
- Illinois General Assembly - Representative Michael K. Smith (D) 91st District
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1996
- Illinois House Democrats - Michael K. Smith
- ↑ Project Vote Smart - Rep. Smith
- ↑ Chicago Sun-Times, "2010 Election Results"
- ↑ Chicago Press Release "Downstate House Races Proving Expensive Battlegrounds"
- ↑ Illinois House of Representatives official election results for 2008
- ↑ Illinois House of Representatives official election results for 2006
- ↑ Smith Campaign Donors
|Illinois House of Representatives District 91
| Succeeded by|
Michael D. Unes
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |