Michael Watson (Virginia)
|Virginia House of Delegates District 93|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|First elected||November 8, 2011|
Watson earned his O.D.U. from New River Community College. He worked as the president of Control Automation Technologies Corp and president of Watson Industries.
In the 2012-2013 session, Watson served on the following committees:
Watson ran for re-election in the 2013 election for Virginia House of Delegates District 93. Watson ran unopposed in the June 11 Republican Primary. He was defeated by T. Monty Mason (D) in the general election on November 5, 2013.
|Virginia House of Delegates, District 93 General Election, 2013|
|Democratic||T. Monty Mason||52.1%||12,132|
|Republican||Michael Watson Incumbent||47.6%||11,094|
Incumbent Watson, who chose to make a bid for his second term, won less than 52 percent of the vote in his first election in a district that President Barack Obama (D) carried with 57 percent of the vote in 2012 and Governor Bob McDonnell (R) won with 55 percent of the vote in 2009. T. Monty Mason, his Democratic challenger, is a first-time candidate and a director at Visa who earned the support of Democracy for America. Some observers considered this race one of the most competitive in the state going into the fall of 2013. Both candidates had television advertisements running by late September.
On November 8, 2011, Watson won election to District 93 of the Virginia House of Delegates. He was uncontested in the August 23 primary and defeated incumbent Robin Abbott (D) in the November 8 general election.
|Virginia House of Delegates, District 93 General Election, 2011|
|Democratic||Robin Abbott Incumbent||48.2%||7,615|
In 2011, Watson received $550,049 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Virginia House of Delegates 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Michael Watson (Virginia)'s campaign in 2011|
|Virginia Republican Party||$371,396|
|Opportunity Virginia PAC||$10,147|
|Majority Leader PAC||$10,000|
|Watson, Michael B||$7,900|
|Dominion Leadership Trust||$7,829|
|Total Raised in 2011||$550,049|
|Total Votes received in 2011||8,188|
|Cost of each vote received||$67.18|
In 2013, Watson’s endorsements included the following:
- Virginia Association of Realtors
- Virginia Farm Bureau
- National Federation of Independent Business
- Associated Builders and Contractors of Virginia
Michael Watson discussing budget amendment on House floor
Watson and his wife, Amy, have three children.
- The Virginia Gazette, "Mike Watson hits airwaves first in 93rd District Virginia House of Delegates race," September 20, 2013
- Leadership Institute, "LI Graduates of the Week: Newly Elected Virginia Delegate Mike Watson and Campaign Manager Annette James," November 14, 2011
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Michael + Watson + Virginia + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Candidate Twitter feed
- Candidate LinkedIn page
- Virginia Public Access Project profile
- Richmond Sunlight page
- Wikipedia profile page
- Virginia Board of Elections, “Official Results - 2013 General Election," accessed December 2, 2013
- Democracy for America, "Monty Mason for Delegate," accessed October 3, 2013
- Daily Kos, "A look at the 2013 Virginia House of Delegates Elections," April 11, 2013
- University of Virginia Center for Politics, Sabato's Crystal Ball, "Republicans Certain to Retain Control of Virginia House of Delegates," August 8, 2013
- Daily Press, "Mason, Watson both on TV in 93rd Delegate District race," September 24, 2013
- Virginia Public Access Project, "House of Delegates District 93," accessed October 4, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections - November 2011 General Election Official Results
- Follow the Money - 2011 contributions
- Delegate Watson, "Watson re-election endorsed by business community," accessed September 20, 2013
|Virginia House of Delegates District 93
| Succeeded by|
T. Monty Mason (D)
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |