Difference between revisions of "Michigan's 11th Congressional District special election, 2012"
m (Text replace - "congressional district of Michigan" to "Congressional District of Michigan")
m (Jlhaas moved page Michigan's 11th congressional district special election, 2012 to Michigan's 11th Congressional District special election, 2012)
Revision as of 14:17, 18 December 2013
The 11th Congressional District of Michigan held a special election for the U.S. House of Representatives on November 6, 2012. The election was to fill the vacancy left by the resignation of Representative Thaddeus McCotter (R). The primary took place on September 5, 2012, while the general election coincided with the November 6, 2012, general election. Candidates who wish to run had until July 20 to collect the 1,000 required petition signatures to get onto the ballot.
David Curson (D) won the special election over Kerry Bentivolio (R). However, on the same night, voters chose Bentivolio to represent the district for the full two-year term of the next session of Congress. Curson will serve in the lame-duck session at the end of 2012.
General election candidates
Five Republicans and one Democrat have filed signatures to run in the special primary election. Unless four of the GOP candidates drop out of the race, a costly primary election will have to be held on September 5, costing counties and communities $650,000. The special election is forced to be separate from the August 7 primary due to the timing of when McCotter resigned from the seat. His abrupt resignation on July 6, 2012, came too late for the special election primary to be held in conjunction with the regular primary election.
- United States House of Representatives elections in Michigan, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2012
- Michigan's 11th Congressional District elections, 2012
- Michigan.gov, "Governor required to call special election to fill 11th Congressional District vacancy," July 10, 2012
- Michigan.gov "Governor required to call special election to fill 11th Congressional District vacancy ," July 10, 2012
- Detroit Free Press "Curson and Bentivolio both won bids for McCotter's seat," November 7, 2012
- Click On Detroit "Michigan's David Curson gets 6 weeks in US Congress," November 7, 2012
- Detroit Free Press, "Costly special primary likely as 5 Republicans file to fill out McCotter's term," July 21, 2012