Michigan's 11th Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
August 5, 2014
Cook Political Report: Likely R
Sabato's Crystal Ball: Likely R
Heading into the election the incumbent is Kerry Bentivolio (R), who was first elected in 2012.
Michigan's 11th Congressional District is located in the southeastern region of the lower peninsula of Michigan and includes the cities of Livonia, Canton and Westland. It includes Wayne and Oakland counties.
The 2012 election race in Michigan's eleventh district was a close race, with Kerry Bentivolio securing victory with a 6.4% margin of victory. According to the analysis by FairVote the district's composition became more favorable to Republicans following the 2010 redistricting, shifting from a 2% edge for Democrats to a 6% edge for Republicans. Bentivolio faced off against Syed Taj, as a result of incumbent Thaddeus McCotter's inability to garner enough signatures for his petition for nomination. Bentivolio was supported by theNational Republican Congressional Committee's Young Guns program, which is aimed at helping incoming Republicans. Bentivolio was outspent by his opponent, spending $482,219 compared to Taj's $677,582.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.General election candidates
August 5, 2014, primary results
|U.S. House, Michigan District 11 General Election, 2012|
|Green||Steven Paul Duke||1.3%||4,569|
|Write-in||James Van Gilder||0%||14|
|Source: Michigan Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Michigan, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Cook Political Report, "2014 HOUSE RACE RATINGS FOR JULY 26, 2014," accessed July 31, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 House Races," accessed July 31, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013 through January 3, 2014 researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- Michigan Redistricting Map "Map" accessed August 31, 2012
- Open Secrets "2012 Race: Michigan District 11" Accessed March 2013
- Politico "2012 Election Map, Michigan"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010" Accessed December 23, 2011