Michigan's 1st Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
August 5, 2014
Cook Political Report: Lean R
FairVote's Monopoly Politics: Lean R
Sabato's Crystal Ball: Lean R
Heading into the election the incumbent is Dan Benishek (R), who was first elected in 2010.
Michigan's 1st Congressional District is located in the far northern portion of the state and includes Keweenaw, Houghton, Ontonagon, Gogebie, Baraga, Iron, Dickinson, Marquette, Menominee, Delta, Alger, Schoolcraft, Luce, Chippewa, Mackinac, Presque Isle, Cheboyan, Emmett, Charlevcix, Antrim, Leelanau, Benzie, Grand Traverse, Manistee, Mason, Kalkaska, Crawford, Oscoda, Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency and Otsego counties.
The 2012 House race in Michigan's 1st district was close, with Representative Dan Benishek securing his seat by a mere half of a percent. The district was targeted by both the National Republican Congressional Committee's Patriot Program and the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, the PACs responsible for helping Republican and Democratic congressional contenders respectively. Benishek was able to outspend his opponent, and was largely aided in that respect by a large influx of PAC contributions, which were almost singlehandedly responsible for the spending gap. Most of the major issues that arose during the race were economic ones, with the two main candidates largely in agreement about other topics. 
Ad campaign on climate change
League of Conservation Voters ad released August 12, 2013, against Mike Coffman, "Ostrich Ad"
The League of Conservation Voters launched a nearly $2 million TV ad campaign on climate change on August 12, 2013, aimed at three House Republicans -- Mike Coffman (R-CO), Dan Benishek (R-MI) and Rodney Davis (R-IL) -- and Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.).
“This is the African Ostrich,” says the narrator of the ad running in the district of Mike Coffman. “Tall, flightless, head in the sand. And this is Congressman Coffman, also with his head in the sand — on climate change.” The ad goes on to call Coffman “extreme.” Democrats are targeting Coffman’s 6th district seat, and have recruited former state house Speaker Andrew Romanoff (D) for the race.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.General election candidates
August 5, 2014, primary results
|U.S. House, Michigan District 1 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Dan Benishek Incumbent||48.1%||167,060|
|Source: Michigan Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
On November 2, 2010, Benishek won election to the United States House of Representatives. He defeated Gary McDowell (D), Keith Shelton (L), Patrick Lambert (U.S. Taxpayers'), Ellis Boal (G), and Glenn A. Wilson (I) in the general election.
- United States House of Representatives elections in Michigan, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Cook Political Report, "2014 HOUSE RACE RATINGS FOR JULY 26, 2014," accessed July 31, 2014
- FairVote's Monopoly Politics, "2014 House Projections," accessed November 19, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 House Races," accessed July 31, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013, through January 3, 2014, researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- Michigan Redistricting Map, "Map," accessed August 31, 2012
- NRCC "Patriot Program 2012"
- http://www.freep.com/article/20120118/NEWS15/120118041/Red-to-blue-Democrats-target-one-Michigan-soon-to-be-district "Red to blue? Democrats target one Michigan soon-to-be district" March 2013]
- Open Secrets "2012 Race: Michigan District 01" Accessed March 2013
- ThePoliticalGuide "2012 Michigan House Race for District 1 - Candidates, Debates and Primary Results
- Washington Post, "Environmental group launches $2 million ad campaign on climate change," accessed August 12, 2013
- Arcand for Congress, "Alan Arcand," accessed January 14, 2014
- The Washington Post, "DCCC adds nine names to program for top recruits," September 9, 2013
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010" Accessed December 1, 2011