Michigan's 7th Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
August 5, 2014
Cook Political Report: Lean R
Sabato's Crystal Ball: Lean R
Heading into the election the incumbent is Tim Walberg (R), who was first elected in 2006.
Michigan's 7th Congressional District is located in the southeastern region of the lower penninsula of Michigan and includes the city of Kalamazoo. It includes Eaton, Jackson, Branch, Hillsdale, Lenawee, Washeraw and Monroe counties.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.General election candidates
August 5, 2014, primary results
The 2012 election race in Michigan's 7th congressional district a race strongly affected by the 2010 redistricting process. Tim Walberg lost the district to centrist Mark Schauer (D) in 2008. He then beat Schauer in a rematch by 5 points in 2010. The redistricting process, controlled by Republicans, made sure to cut Schauer’s home base out of the district and made it a few points more Republican. This caused Schauer to refuse another attempt, and removed an opponent that has proven strongly competitive for Walberg in the past. Instead Walberg faced off against Kurt R. Haskell. Walberg spent $1,309,735, which was a significantly higher than the $101,252 spent by Haskell.
|U.S. House, Michigan District 7 General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Kurt R. Haskell||43%||136,849|
|Republican||Tim Walberg Incumbent||53.3%||169,668|
|Source: Michigan Secretary of State, "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
On November 2, 2010, Tim Walberg won election to the United States House of Representatives. He defeated Mark H. Schauer (D), Greg Merle (L), Scott Eugene Aughney (U.S. Taxpayers), Richard Wunsch (G), and Danny Davis (Write-In) in the general election.
- United States House of Representatives elections in Michigan, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Cook Political Report, "2014 HOUSE RACE RATINGS FOR JULY 26, 2014," accessed July 31, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 House Races," accessed July 31, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013, through January 3, 2014, researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- Michigan Redistricting Map, "Map," accessed August 31, 2012
- The Hill "House members most helped by redistricting" Accessed March, 2013
- Open Secrets "2012 Race: Michigan District 07" Accessed March 2013
- Politico "2012 Election Map, Michigan"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010" Accessed December 23, 2011