Michigan Auditor General
|Michigan Auditor General|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|Authority:||Article IV, Section 53 the Legislative Branch|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by a majority vote of the Michigan State Legislature|
|Other Michigan Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Public Instruction • Director of Agriculture and Rural Development • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Director • Labor Director • Public Service Commission|
The Michigan Auditor General is a state executive position in the Michigan state government.
The mission statement of the Office of the Auditor General is "to improve the accountability of public funds and to improve the operations of State government for the benefit of the citizens of the State of Michigan." The OAG conducts financial, single and performance audits.
The current officeholder is Thomas McTavish. He has served in this position since 1989.
Under Article IV, Section 53:
The legislature by a majority vote of the members elected to and serving in each house, shall appoint an auditor general...
The auditor general is appointed by a majority vote of the Michigan State Legislature.
Duties of the auditor general include:
- Conducting audits and examinations of all branches, departments, offices, boards, commissions, agencies, authorities, and institutions of the state
- Examining the books, accounts, documents, records, performance activities, and financial affairs of each branch, department, office, board, commission, agency, authority, and institution of the state
- Issuing subpoenas, direct the service of the subpoena by any police officer, and compel the attendance and testimony of witnesses
- Employing and compensating auditors, examiners, and assistants as he or she considers necessary
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Michigan Office of the Auditor General
Thomas H. McTavish, C.P.A.
201 N. Washington Square, 6th Floor
Lansing, Michigan 48913
Phone: (517) 334-8050
Fax: (517) 334-8079