Michigan International Bridge Initiative, Proposal 6 (2012)
|International Bridge Initiative|
|Topic:||Transportation on the ballot|
|Status:||On the ballot|
The Michigan International Bridge Initiative is on the November 6, 2012 statewide ballot in Michigan as an initiated constitutional amendment. If enacted this measure would require voters to approve any new bridge or tunnel from Michigan to Canada. The measure was proposed by the Detroit International Bridge Co. and is being sponsored by a committee called The People Should Decide.
The Detroit International Bridge Co. filed the measure in response to a proposed project aimed at constructing a new international bridge increasing the number of lanes connecting Detroit to Windsor in Canada. The project, called the New International Trade Crossing (NITC), would compete for traffic with the Detroit International Bridge Co.'s current bridge, the Ambassador Bridge.
The Detroit International Bridge Co. has released a number of ads either supporting the amendment or targeting the New International Trade Crossing. However, the group Michigan Truth Squad, part of the bipartisan Center for Michigan, has rated all the ads "Flagrant Foul," questioning the truthfulness of their contents.
In Michigan campaign finance information related to ballot measures is organized by ballot question committees. The following data was obtained from the state Campaign Finance Committee:
|Committee||Amount raised||Amount spent|
|The People Should Decide||$4,657,500.00||$4,588,552.97|
As a supporter of the new bridge which would compete with Detroit International Bridge Co., Governor Rick Snyder opposes this amendment which would seriously hamper plans on the new bridge if passed.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Michigan signature requirements
- Detroit Free Press "Editorial: Ballot question is Moroun's newest ploy to stall public bridge," April 24, 2012
- The Detroit News "Public bridge vote called risky," April 25, 2012
- Detroit Free Press "Ambassador owners plan to take bridge battle to November ballot," April 21, 2012
- Michigan Secretary of State, statewide ballot proposal status, retrieved May 4, 2012
- Detroit News "Moroun continues campaign of lies in bridge ballot initiative," May 22, 2012
- Pre-general campaign statement, accessed July 26, 2012