The Michigan Treasurer is a state executive position in the Michigan state government.
The office of the state treasurer collects, invests, and disburses all state money. The treasury additionally administers major tax and property laws and safeguards the state's credit.
Under Article V, Section 3:
The single executives heading principal departments shall include a secretary of state, a state treasurer and an attorney general...
The Treasurer is appointed by the Governor.
- Administers major tax laws and property tax laws
- Safeguarding the credit of the state and its local units of government
- Investing retirement funds of Michigan's state employees, public school employees, state police and judges
- Distributing revenue sharing monies to local units of government
- Auditing municipal finance records
- Reuniting abandoned property with its rightful owner.
Michigan Department of Treasury
Lansing, Michigan 48922
Phone: (517) 373-3200