For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Difference between revisions of "Michigan school districts"
|Line 2:||Line 2:|
'''Michigan''' is home to
'''Michigan''' is home to school districts, 3,schools and 1,,K-12 students.
Revision as of 12:16, 24 March 2014
|K-12 Education in Michigan|
|State Superintendent: Michael Flanagan|
|Number of students: 1,573,537|
|Number of teachers: 86,997|
|Teacher/pupil ratio: 1:18.1|
|Number of school districts: 869|
|Number of schools: 3,550|
|Graduation rate: 76%|
|Per-pupil spending: $10,823|
|Michigan Department of Education • List of school districts in Michigan • Michigan • School boards portal|
|Education policy project|
|Public education in the United States |
Public education in Michigan
Glossary of education terms
Michigan is home to 869 school districts, 3,550 schools and 1,573,537 K-12 students.
State school administrators
- Superintendent of Public Instruction: Michael Flanagan
- State Board of Education:
- John C. Austin, President
- Casandra E. Ulbrich, Vice President
- Daniel Varner, Secretary
- Dr. Richard Zeile, Treasurer
- Michelle Fecteau
- Lupe Ramos-Montigny
- Kathleen N. Straus
- Eileen Weiser
Enrollment and academics
|Student enrollment||Per-pupil spending|
|1.) Detroit||1.) Bois Blanc Pines|
|2.) Utica||2.) Elm River Township|
|3.) Plymouth-Canton||3.) Grant Township|
|4.) Dearborn||4.) Arvon Township|
|5.) Grand Rapids||5.) Beaver Island|
|6.) Ann Arbor||6.) Northport|
|7.) Chippewa Valley||7.) Whitefish Township|
|8.) San Bernardino City Unified||8.) Blanche Kelso Bruce Academy|
|9.) Walled Lake||9.) Powell Township|
|10.) Livonia||10.) Wells Township|
The following table displays the ethnic distribution of students in Michigan.
|Ethnicity||Number of students||Percentage|
|Two or More Races||38,237||2.49%|
|American Indian or Alaska Native||11,612||0.80%|
School board elections
- See also: Michigan school board elections, 2014
A total of 23 Michigan school districts among America's largest school districts by enrollment held elections in 2014 for 77 seats. Each district held elections on November 4, 2014.
Here are several quick facts about Michigan's school board elections in 2014:
- The largest school district by enrollment with an election in 2014 was Detroit Public Schools with 67,064 K-12 students.
- The smallest school district by enrollment with an election in 2014 was Traverse City Area Public Schools with 9,807 K-12 students.
- Grand Rapids Public Schools and Traverse City Area Public Schools had the most seats on the ballot in 2014 with five seats up for election in each district.
- Four districts were tied for the fewest seats on the ballot in 2014 with two seats up for election in each district.
The districts listed below served 376,873 K-12 students during the 2010-2011 school year, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. Click on the district names for more information on the district and its school board elections.
- Michigan Secretary of State
- Michigan Department of Education
- Michigan Association of School Boards
- AFT Michigan
- Michigan Education Association
- MI School Data
- Michigan Center for Education Performance and Information
- National Center for Education Statistics school district search tool
- National Center for Education Statistics, "Table 2. Number of operating public schools and districts, state enrollment, teacher and pupil/teacher ratio by state: School year 2011–12," accessed March 18, 2014
- ED Data Express, "State Tables Report," accessed March 17, 2014 The site includes this disclaimer: "States converted to an adjusted cohort graduation rate [starting in the 2010-2011 school year], which may or may not be the same as the calculation they used in prior years. Due to the potential differences, caution should be used when comparing graduation rates across states."
- United States Census Bureau, "Public Education Finances: 2011," accessed March 18, 2014
- Michigan Department of Education, "State Board of Education," accessed August 5, 2013
- Michigan Department of Education, "2011-12 BULLETIN 1014," accessed August 5, 2013
- Center for Educational Performance and Information, "2012-13 Pupil Headcount Data (MSDS)," accessed August 6, 2013
- National Center for Education Statistics, "Elementary/Secondary Information System," accessed March 21, 2014
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
Michigan Department of Education | Michigan school districts |