Miguel Diaz de la Portilla
|Miguel Diaz de la Portilla|
|Florida State Senate District 36|
|November 16, 2010-Present|
|November 16, 2012|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next election||November 6, 2012|
|Term limits||2 terms (8 years)|
|Bachelor's||University of Miami (1984)|
|J.D.||University of Miami (1987)|
Diaz de la Portilla is a shareholder in the law firm of Becker and Poliakoff; his area of practice includes government procurement, bid protests, zoning & land use, and others. He served as Miami-Dade County Commissioner from 1993 to 1999, and has participated in a number of regional government commissions and boards.
He received a BA in Philosophy and English Literature from the University of Miami in 1984. He went on to earn his JD as well from the University of Miami in 1987.
On his campaign website, Diaz de la Portilla lists seven issues he is concerned about. They are:
- Excerpt: "As State Senator, I will fight to improve our public schools and work to give teachers raises, while continuing to give parents the right of school choice in order to make the best educational decisions for their children."
- Rebuilding Our Economy and Lowering Taxes
- Excerpt: "In the State Senate, I will work tirelessly to grow Florida’s economy by moving government out of the way and supporting an environment in which businesses can thrive by reducing the burden on American workers, small businesses and entrepreneurs."
- Excerpt: "I realize that government is not the solution to getting our economy back on track, but rather the investment of small businesses, the ingenuity of entrepreneurs and the creativity of individuals are the engines that will drive Florida's economy."
- Health Care
- Excerpt: "I believe that the government's role in health care should be to protect and serve our state's most vulnerable residents – children, elderly and the disabled. Outside of that, I advocate for free market principles to allow Floridians to make their own health care decisions."
- Excerpt: "I am a pro-life conservative who is unwavering in my commitment to protect family values and the sanctity of human life."
- Defending Our Second Amendment Rights
- Excerpt: "In the Florida Senate, I will fight to ensure that all of our Constitutional rights are protected and maintain the responsibility of lawmakers to ensure that criminals who violate the law are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, rather than restricting the rights of law abiding citizens."
- Property Rights
- Excerpt: "I am committed to protecting the private property rights of all Floridians. By protecting individual property rights, we also secure our other freedoms as Americans."
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Diaz de la Portilla has been appointed to these committees:
- Rules Subcommittee on Ethics and Elections, Chair
- Budget Subcommittee on General Government Appropriations
- Budget Subcommittee on Transportation, Tourism, and Economic Development Appropriations
- Communications, Energy, and Public Utilities
- Health Regulation
- Regulated Industries
- See also: Florida State Senate elections, 2012
Diaz de la Portilla is running in the 2012 election for Florida State Senate District 36. Diaz de la Portilla is running unopposed in the Republican primary on August 14, 2012. The general election takes place on November 6, 2012.
- See also: Florida State Senate elections, 2010
| Florida State Senate, District 36 |
2010 General election results
|Miguel Diaz de la Portilla (R)||58,138||99.94%|
|Luisa Artiles (Write-in)||31||0.05%|
|Alberto E. Fortes (Write-in)||6||0.01%|
Portilla defeated Julio Robaina and J. Nillo in the August 24 primary.
|Florida State Senate, District 36 - Republican Primary (2010)|
|Miguel Diaz de la Portilla||12,167|
Diaz de la Portilla raised $650,201 in campaign contributions in 2010. The largest contributors are listed below.
|Florida State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Miguel Diaz de la Portilla's campaign in 2010|
|Diaz De La Portilla, Miguel A||$22,800|
|Diaz De La Portilla, Miguel||$18,700|
|Hospital Corp Of America||$4,000|
|Florida Chamber Of Commerce||$2,500|
|Total Raised in 2010||$650,201|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Miguel + Diaz + Portilla + Florida + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Report Card: Florida Chamber Gives Most (GOP) Legislators an 'A' - Sunshine State News
- Parent trigger bill dies in Florida Senate for second straight year - Tampabay.com (blog)
- Crank it up! Florida Senate kills ban on loud car music - Palm Beach Post
- Dolphins, Orlando stadium dreams going down on Legislature's final day - Orlando Sentinel (blog)
- 'Parent-trigger' bill defeated in Senate for second straight year - Tallahassee Democrat (blog)
- House to spare Miami-Dade election chief. Will Senate agree? - MiamiHerald.com (blog)
- Elections bill to fix long voter lines stalls over Miami-Dade elections office - MiamiHerald.com
- Senate deadlocks on bill targeting juveniles who kill - Tampabay.com (blog)
- Lipstick on a Pig - The Bradenton Times
- Sen. Alan Hays: Why I Changed My Mind and Voted to Support Parent ... - Sunshine State News
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Portilla and his wife Mari have three children.
- Miguel Diaz de la Portilla campaign website
- Senate website
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Campaign Contributions: 2010
- Miguel Diaz de la Portilla on Facebook
Alex Diaz de la Portilla
|Florida Senate District 36
| Succeeded by|