Mike Jacobs, Illinois Senator
|Illinois State Senate District 36|
| Assumed office|
| Current term ends|
January 12, 2013
Jacobs graduated from Illinois-Springfield with his Bachelor's Degree in Political Studies and his Master's in Political Science from West Florida.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Jacobs has been appointed to these committees:
- Appropriations Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Commerce Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Committee of the Whole, Illinois Senate
- Energy Committee, Illinois State Senate, Chair
- Insurance Committee, Illinois State Senate
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Jacobs served on these committees:
Both Republican and Democrat Senators were concerned that they didn't have enough time to before voting up or down the $1.2 billion in cuts to Gov. Pat Quinn’s introduced $35.4 billion budget.
As the Senate President, Sen. John Cullerton sought this vote in a time crunch that made many senators uncomfortable.
“When we make these cuts they are real, and they affect real people,” Sen. Mike Jacobs said. “So we do have to be careful and I do agree with my colleague Senator (William) Delgado that we should go through this list slowly, completely and without an eye on which constituent gets help and what constituent gets hurt, but based on numbers.”
Sen. Matt Murphy said he too was concerned about the small time frame and reiterated his concern that reductions in spending as introduced don’t go far enough.
“I don’t know that that gets us to a point where the tax increase goes away. I think the numbers, the way they run out, will not allow the tax increase to go away if we’re only at 1.2 (billion dollars),” Murphy said.
The state increased the personal and corporate income taxes earlier this year by 67 percent and 45.9 percent, respectively. The tax increases will expire in four years unless the General Assembly votes to extend them.
|Illinois State Senate, District 36 (2008)|
|Mike Jacobs (D)||55,448|
|Michael Bertelsen (R)||38,882|
In 2008, Jacobs collected $403,546 in donations.
Listed below are those that contributed most to his campaign.
|Illinois Senate Democratic Fund||$40,000|
|Friends of Clayborne||$20,000|
|Illinois State Medical Society||$17,574|
|Associated Beer Distributors of Illinois||$11,000|
|Illinois Education Association||$8,500|
|AFSCME Illinois Council 31||$7,800|
|Illinois Health Care Association||$6,250|
|Unicare Life Insurance||$6,000|
|John Deere & Co.||$6,000|
|Professional Independent Insurance Agents of Illinois||$5,000|
|Associated Fire Fighters of Illinois||$5,000|
|Silverstein for Senator||$5,000|
|Multi Player Gaming Technologies||$5,000|
|Illinois Hospital & Health Systems Association||$4,500|
|Operating Engineers Local 150||$4,000|
Jacobs represents Illinois Senate District 36. District 36 includes the Quad Cities Area and the City of Moline.
Mike is married to Beth Wendt. They have one child and reside in Moline, Illinois.
- Mike Jacobs' campaign website
- Biography from the Illinois General Assembly
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006
- "Illinois General Assembly" List of Illinois Senate Committees, July 28, 2009
- "Senators unhappy with proposed budget," Illinois Statehouse News, May 3, 2011
- Illinois Senate election results for 2008
- Jacobs Campaign Donors
- "Illinois Chamber of * Commerce Committee, Illinois State Senate, Northeast Illinois Legislative District Maps, July 29, 2009
|Illinois Senate District 36
| Succeeded by|