According to a 2010 report published at Northwestern University, Milwaukee is one of the ten municipalities with the largest amount of unfunded pension liabilities. Nationwide there is $574 billion in unfunded pension liabilities for local pension plans, and this is in addition to the $3 trillion in debt facing state-sponsored pension plans. The report states that the pension plans could be out of money as early at 2025.
(number of plans)
|Liabilities, Stated Basis, June ’09 ($B)||Liabilities (ABO), Treasury Rate||Net Pension Assets ($B)||Unfunded Liability ($B)||Unfunded Liability / Revenue||Unfunded Liability per Household ($)|
- See also: Wisconsin government sector lobbying
In 2010, Milwaukee reported $10,000 spent on lobbying.
- See also: Evaluation of Wisconsin city websites
|Transparency grading process|
- The most current budget is listed.
- Budgets are archived for 14 years.
- Elected officials
- Meeting minutes are archived for 15 years.
- Meeting agendas are archived for 10 years.
- A meeting calendar is available and names the times and locations of public meetings.
- Meeting video or podcasts are available.
- Administrative officials
- Department heads are listed for each department.
- Contact information for administrative officials is provided including a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- Public records
- The public information officer is identified. This person provides a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- A central public records site gives access to most common records.
- Public records requests are handled by each department independently. Contact information for each department head is given.
- Tax revenues are broken down by federal, state and local funding in the budget.
- Local taxes, like property taxes, are available online.
- Residents are able to pay taxes online.
- Permits and zoning
- The most recent audit is posted.
- Audits dating back to 2000 are available.
- The city provides a list of licensed lobbyists and how much was spent on lobbying.
- The city's checkbook register is not posted.
- If the city is a member of government sector lobbying associations, it is not disclosed, nor are the membership dues for associations available.
- MacIver Institute, City of Milwaukee Pension a Ticking Time Bomb According to Northwestern Study, Oct. 12, 2010
- Milwaukee - Open Secrets
- Milwaukee, Budget Documents, Accessed: Nov 29, 2012
- Milwaukee, Council Members, Accessed: Dec 4, 2012
- Milwaukee, Office of the Mayor, Accessed: Dec 4, 2012
- Milwaukee, Calendar, Accessed: Dec 4, 2012
- Milwaukee, WI, Department Directory, Accessed: Dec 4, 2012
- Milwaukee, Public Records, Accessed: Dec 4, 2012
- Milwaukee, Treasurer, Accessed: Dec 5, 2012
- Milwaukee, Zoning Code, Accessed Dec 5, 2012
- Milwaukee, Planning and Permits, Accessed: Dec5, 2012
- Milwaukee, Bid Information, Accessed: Dec 5, 2012
- Milwaukee, Purchasing, Accessed: Dec 5, 2012
- Milwaukee, Office of the Comptroller, Accessed: Dec 5, 2012