Minnesota's 6th Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
August 12, 2014
Cook Political Report: Solid R
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
General election candidates
August 12, 2014, primary results
Withdrew from race
Failed to file
The Minnesota sixth district was a close race in 2012, with Michele Bachmann securing a victory by a 1.2% margin. Minnesota's 6th District was included in the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's "Red to Blue List," which identified districts that the organization specifically targeted to flip from Republican to Democratic control. The district leans Republican with Cook Political Report giving it a Partisan Voter Index rating of R+8. Both candidates ran as conservative choices, with Jim Graves offering himself as a less extreme option than Bachmann.Bachmann faced declining voter approval, with 59% of voters saying they had an unfavorable opinion of her. Michele Bachmann out spent her opponent, spending $22,725,128, while Graves spent $2,279,384.
Democratic Super PAC House Majority PAC listed incumbent Michele Bachmann as one of 10 they were targeting as a vulnerable incumbent Republicans in 2014, with the focus on those holding competitive seats.
The 6th congressional district of Minnesota held an election for the U.S. House of Representatives on November 6, 2012. Incumbent Michele Bachmann (R) defeated Jim Graves (D) in the general election.
|U.S. House, Minnesota District 6 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Michele Bachmann Incumbent||50.5%||179,240|
|Source: Minnesota Secretary of State, "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election" (dead link)|
On November 2, 2010, Michele Bachmann won re-election to the United States House of Representatives. She defeated Tarryl Clark (D), Aubrey Immelman (I), Bob Anderson (I), and Dennis S. Ferche (I) in the general election.
- Cook Political Report, "2014 House Race Ratings for August 8, 2014," accessed August 25, 2014
- FairVote's Monopoly Politics, "2014 House Projections," accessed August 25, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 House Races," accessed August 25, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013, through January 3, 2014, researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- http://www.politico.com/story/2013/05/michele-bachmann-not-running-again-91972.html?hp=t1_3 Politico "Michele Bachmann not running again" Accessed May 29, 2013]
- Minnesota Redistricting Map, "Map," accessed August 30, 2012
- Campaign website, "About," accessed June 10, 2013
- Rollcall.com, "Second Republican Announces Bid for Bachmann Seat," accessed June 14, 2013
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2014 State General Election Candidate Filings," accessed June 11, 2014
- Campaign website, "About," accessed November 11, 2013
- Inform.com, "Krinkie joins 6th District GOP House race in Minnesota," accessed July 20, 2013 (dead link)
- Atlanta Journal Constitution, "Running for Congress, in Georgia and three other states – at the same time," accessed November 12, 2013
- Politico, "Green activist Judy Adams to run for Bachmann seat," accessed June 14, 2013
- DCCC, "Red to Blue 2012"
- Cook Political Report "Partisan Voting Index Districts of the 113th Congress: 2004 & 2008" Accessed March 2013
- Jim Graves campaign site Accessed March 2013
- New Civil Rights Movement "Michele Bachmann's latest poll numbers are frightening" Accessed March 2013
- Open Secrets "Minnesota District 6 Summary, 2012" Accessed March 2013
- Sunshine State News "Democratic Super-PAC Targets Steve Southerland" Accessed March 8, 2013
- ABC News, "General Election Results 2012-Minnesota," November 7, 2012
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010" Accessed December 11, 2011
- United States House of Representatives elections in Minnesota, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014